Best way to record your mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
What is the best way to record a Mesa at home?

I have a Express and have tried using my singers mic in front of it and then into a Tascam but it sounds a bit distant still.

What has worked best for you at home?

Is a condenser mic the answer?

I'm sure this thread can be used for reference to all of us if we fill it with info 8)

computer with an external soundcard/interface is the way to go, so much flexibility, i haven't touched a tascam in years :lol:

get a decent cheap dynamic mic for around $100 (shure sm57, sennheiser e609, audix i5) and mic it close up. play around with the mic position as much as possible to get it right.

double-tracking and panning the two tracks L/R will give you a much fuller sound too.

Pyro said:
What is the best way to record a Mesa at home?

I have a Express and have tried using my singers mic in front of it and then into a Tascam but it sounds a bit distant still.

What has worked best for you at home?

Is a condenser mic the answer?

I'm sure this thread can be used for reference to all of us if we fill it with info 8)

Hey, if you don't want to drastically change your setup, you could get a mic preamp for your tascam becuase the tascam aren't that good. heres a cheap alternative. Art-tube micpreamp. You might also want to pick up a new mic like everyone has mentioned here. The shure sm57 is industry standard for micing guitar cabints. To get a real thick sound you might want to get another art preamp and a condeser mic, becuase dynamic mics on their own can sound thin and brittle.
anyways here are some suggestions.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

2x art - 60$
1x mxl- 70$
1x sm57 -100$
--------------------
230$

If that's a bit more then you were expecting, start off with one preamp and the sm57... that cuts down the price to 130$ AND i'm sure you could get alot of these things on ebay or local ads for cheaper.

Hope this helps

This is really helpfull. Thankyou :D 8) :D

So would i go from the Mic directly into the Mic Preamp and then into the Tascam? I have never seen one before

is that $30 ART really much better than what's in a Tascam?

i've heard good things about these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-TUBEPre-Microphone-Preamp?sku=184125

I put an SM58 in front of the speaker (between the center and the rim). Sounds great every time. ;)

An SM 57 is a nice, affordable way to mic the amp - play around with mic positioning. Different positions will pick up drastically different frequencies. In the balance between your amp's volume and your input volume, try to increase the amp's volume and decrease the input volume as much as you can. I have a friend who was having the same problem - when I looked at his set up it was because he was trying to keep the amp super quiet for his wife, then getting it up to recording volume by cranking the input trim. Do the opposite of that, and in your recordings it will sound like the amp is right next to your ear. (In a good way.) :lol:

Oh - and I love the presonus pre amps. I've got a few bluetubes that sound great, and they're not that expensive.

And if you decide to make the jump to computer recording (which I recommend), a lot of the break out boxes (firewire and usb soundcards) have some decent preamps in them. I am in love with my M-Audio equipment. I use a Firewire 1814. On a budget, you might look at the Firewire 410.

well, i should add....

i'm assuming you can't play loud, and that's the problem.

when micing at volume, i use a sm57 and/or a AT4033, and both of these mics sound brilliant on the boogie, to my ears.....

the idea behind the palmer, is to be able to crank your amp (assuming you've got an attenuator to tame the volume) and add the palmer in before the attuator, so you capture the sound of the output of the amp in crank mode.....

it ALWAYS sounds better to mic a good cab, in a good room, with a good mic and a good mic preamp.

but......
life is a *****, and so is my landlord.
:D

Latest posts

Back