The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:16 am 
Bottle Rocket

I am planning to add the HIGH-WIRE Buffer to my board and would like to hear from those that use this buffer and their comments.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 am 
Bottle Rocket

Interestingly enough, I have the stowaway and the highwire. I bought the stowaway without realizing the high wire was out there. Once I saw the extra features I bought the high wire too. I'll use the stowaway for my bass rig.

Both products work great. I do use the tuner out so that my tc polytune connects through that instead of in my signal path. It works great. The tuner is on all the time and the press and hold mute on the highwire works fine. The only thing I would say isn't as good is the boost. I turned that thing all the way up and it's not boosting much. The boost is supposed to provide +22db which would mean if I'm at 80db and have the boost knob all the way up, I should hit 102db, but there's no way that's happening. That would be much louder and it's not. Other than that, the buffer itself, the mute, and the tuner out works great and my tone is great with it.

I also added all Mogami cables to my rig to go with the buffer. My Roadster has never been so nice and quiet since doing all this. I'm very glad I have the new cables and the buffer.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 am 
Donating Member

The High-Wire will boost the signal going into the preamp by up to 22dB, but that won't typically produce a 22dB volume increase out the power amp, particularly if your preamp is already clipping.

If the preamp is already clipping you'll get a slight increase in distortion and maybe a bit of extra sustain with no volume change. Most people will use a clean boost if they want slightly more dirt for leads without changing the overall sound, or to compensate for two guitars with different output levels (Tele and Les Paul for example). It's not really going to be an in your face effect unless you're plugged into a totally clean amp.

|| PRS McCarty | Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12 ||

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:40 am 
Bottle Rocket

Ahh great point. That makes sense. So, it makes sense then that it will help compensate possibly for slight differences in guitar pickups maybe if I need it.

Thanks.