The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:56 am 
Mark III

I am so oddly relieved I sold it for just under what I paid and I could not be happier. I feel like the Mark V just does not live up to the hype it never wowed me. I could list the ridicolous amount of amps that I have first hand experience with but thats a long list. I never owned any other mark series amp tried a triaxis rig once and that was brief so i cannot speak for those models but the MarkV is not the holy grail amp its made out to be. I think that if I had started playing on a Mark 3 maybe a 4 I could have figured out how to appreciatte the 5. But I started on a Rec and at the end of the day I think thats more my style.
A nice guy was asking me why I like Recs over the MarkV my honest and most sincere opinion its a overpriced bedroom amp. Why ? because it tracks great for recording no question there. With the right mic or direct input or ISO cab live with a soundman that takes pride in his job it will sound good live. However you have to be so exact in every little detail pickups, guitars, ohms, cab, speakers, the position in the room of the cab. I know at one point I had it sounding awesome but once I lost those settings by trying other ones I could never get it back to the way I liked it sounding. It is so touchy that the tone changes if you move the cab a quarter of an inch in a ISO recording room. Maybe it was my amp maybe it was my cab or maybe it was me I do not know. What I do know is with a rectifier I can always get my tone no matter where it is in a room what cab I am running or guitar I am playing I can get grat tones out of it that sound and feel great.
Thats another thing the MarkVs feel it didn't give me that umph i am used to feeling with rectos and honestly the distortion sounded like a processed walkie talkie kind of thing that I could not dial out. I owned it for a little over a year and honestly for an unmic'd rehearsal jam it sounded thin and too harsh to my ears. The mark V is meant to be an amp in a full band live with leads and you can get great metallica tones from it whoopi I will be looking for a Rev F soon if anyone knows where I can get one let me know. I know this is long but if you do read this let me know if you guys think I did the right thing I feel I did but opinions are always welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am 
Donating Member

Sounds to me like you did the right thing...for you. If Marks don't do it for you and Rectifiers scratch your itch, go for it!

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 pm 
Mark III

I'm also DC fan and the F100 I,had was awesome but it blew up : (

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm 
Mark II

Sounds like operator error to me, honestly. I just got back from a gig tonight, and the whole range of tones I could ever want for that gig - shimmering beautiful cleans, warm bluesy breakup, and screaming, articulate shred tones - were all there. It never sounded thin, weak, or whatever, but that's also because I've taken time to learn how to dial it in for the tones I need.

Your feelings have nothing to do with whether it's actually a "holy grail" or not. It's either a solid amp that lives up to the "hype", as a good number of us believe, or we're just a bunch of fools following marketing drivel.

Honestly, man, if you can't get that thing to sing, scream, and punch through a mix like nobody's business, then I think you probably suck at dialing it in. It's easily the most powerful and musical amp I've ever played, and the suggestion that it's just a "bedroom player's amp" is completely laughable for musicians who actually gig with it. I suppose if all you're looking for are sucky, scooped "PRS through a recto" metal tones, that seem to be the norm with most metal bands who play Mesas, then you'd probably be disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am 
Donating Member

It's definitely a tricky amp to dial in. It has a VAST array of tones available, and I agree with you that the controls are very sensitive. That is how the amp can pull out so many tones! It is definitely not an instant gratification amp like a Recto. The articulation of the amp makes it feel very stiff at times. A Recto is forgiving in that respect. It's definitely not the amp for everyone.

I've been borrowing a friend's Mini Rec for giggles, and it makes me really want both the MV25 I have and his MR! They have different gain structures and feels that are both very cool...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:05 am 
Dual Recto

Mark amps are pretty hard amps to play through. Every nuance of your skill and technique comes through the speakers and if your not up to the task then the Recto is definitely the way to go. You get away with murder with those things. I couldn't believe how lax my playing got while I owned a Roadster until I played through my Mark V.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:55 am 
Mark III

Its so odd there are people are are raggin on me for selling it and posting my opinions about in in this day and age. Also odd that no one wants to pay anything for it It was hard to sell and I got lucky I just about broke even. I feel bad posting my real opinions about it but theres alot of people out there that are thinking about the switch from a mid 2000's 3 channel rectifier to a MarkV to have a "real amp".
I think if the amp works for you its real enough right?
I had to stretch my wallet a little to get the MarkV and alot of of people might do that because it is a more attainable high end amp then some others. Like Engl Soldano Diezel Rhodes etc; So someone who wants to get a high end mid level priced amp buys it expecting it to fulfill all thier needs and it doesn't and now they are stuck with an amp they paid 2200 dollars for and lose about 800 on it when selling it because some Mini version came out really?
I am just looking out for the little guy who doesn't know any better. Yes the MarkV will make you a better player and tracks amazingly well recording and does a ton of different tones and tastes. I remember when my mom brought in an all in one copy print fax machine home when I was a kid, for her office and yeah it did all this stuff but the machine was so finicky my mom took it back and kept using her seperate pieces of office equipment until they perfected the technology.
I am not saying mesa did not do something great but it could have been done better and who knows when we will see the Mark6 or 7 or god forbid they do a reissue of the MK 2 c+ or a Pre500 Dual to make our lives easier I'd pay 2000 for that sh!t I'd pay 3. So I am just trying to shed some light on a already confusing subject. You can watch all the youtube footage of Petrucci playing these as you want but you'll never know the feel until the amp is in the room with you. I feel an unmic'd jam with a band is the ultimite test for any amp and rectifier tone passes that in spades hence my opinion on the MKV being an overpriced bedroom amp. If i could get great loud tone that would be great but its not there for me yet maybe the MKX.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm 
Dual Recto

BrentSSL wrote:
I am just looking out for the little guy who doesn't know any better.

Looks like you're the only one who needed looking after. You either should have vetted your purchase better or at least understood the market for used amps.
Side note: The reason used amps are going so cheap is because of people like you who buy something new at full market value then flip it quickly for chump change.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:39 pm 
Mark III

How is 1800 chump change? and I bought new for a around 2000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:18 pm 
Single Recto

All you had to say "Mark V is not my cup-of-tea!" :wink:

I have to admit, I almost traded-in my Boogies thinking the "latest is the greatest" of particular models, you know their successors. But when I tried to these newest models, I stayed put and kept my Boogies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:30 pm 
Mark III

RR wrote:
All you had to say "Mark V is not my cup-of-tea!" :wink:

I have to admit, I almost traded-in my Boogies thinking the "latest is the greatest" of particular models, you know their successors. But when I tried to these newest models, I stayed put and kept my Boogies.

I agree just feel like the whole mark series is not my cup of tea lol sorry for the long post I angered many people lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:59 pm 
Donating Member

BrentSSL wrote:
I agree just feel like the whole mark series is not my cup of tea lol sorry for the long post I angered many people lol

I think it's because you knocked the Mark V on specific things that others don't find true. I have a Mark V and a Rev F Recto sitting side by side so I can compare the two pretty easily. I can also totally understand someone not digging the Mk V and preferring the Recto... there's a reason I still have mine and it's because it does things a Mark will never do...

...but, a lot of what you wrote just sounds like you did a terrible job dialling it in. While a Mark will never sound as big as a Recto due to the tighter response it's equally as thick sounding with about the same bottom end, so I'm not quite sure what your problem was and why you were perpetually cursed with thin and harsh walkie-talkie tone. I've also used it in plenty of rooms and I've never put any special effort into getting it to sound good. And while it might sound boxy when you're two feet in front of it it sounds f*cking glorious when you get about 20 feet or more out in front of it and can hear the whole harmonic spread.

That's my opinion on your opinion. Take it for whatever it's worth.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 pm 
Mark III

screamingdaisy wrote:
BrentSSL wrote:

I think it's because you knocked the Mark V on specific things that others don't find true. I have a Mark V and a Rev F Recto sitting side by side so I can compare the two pretty easily. I can also totally understand someone not digging the Mk V and preferring the Recto... there's a reason I still have mine and it's because it does things a Mark will never do...

...but, a lot of what you wrote just sounds like you did a terrible job dialling it in. While a Mark will never sound as big as a Recto due to the tighter response it's equally as thick sounding with about the same bottom end, so I'm not quite sure what your problem was and why you were perpetually cursed with thin and harsh walkie-talkie tone. I've also used it in plenty of rooms and I've never put any special effort into getting it to sound good. And while it might sound boxy when you're two feet in front of it it sounds f*cking glorious when you get about 20 feet or more out in front of it and can hear the whole harmonic spread.

That's my opinion on your opinion. Take it for whatever it's worth.

Your opinion is totally right on but I stand by,mine lol

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:26 pm 
Mark III

I must admit for the first twelve months of owning my Mark V it was a sort of love hate relationship due to its finicky ways. But after learning how to drive it correctly I can dial any sound I like within seconds. So many sweet spots and as many not so sweet spots but once you know where they lie I could never see me selling my V. I think it's sounding better with age plus it's three years old in August and still has the original tubes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:20 am 
Bottle Rocket

I sold my MkV this month, but it wasn't because of poor tone. It always delivered the goods. For me, I just didn't need or want to carry around a 90w all tube amp anymore…….I ain't gettin' any younger! I used the funds to buy the MkV 25. Love it!