The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: User manuals
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 am 
Mark I

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the user manuals that Mesa Boogie provides. (eg. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Quad%20Preamp.pdf and http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50%20 ... 20Plus.pdf). I have a Caliber .50+ and find it to be pretty accurate, but the amp was modded a bit before I got it, so it's hard to tell really.

I'm really looking to get another amp (one of the old Boogies ideally, so it's going to be hard to try much out before I buy), so I would like to know how much I can trust the descriptions from the user manuals. Obviously, they're not likely to write that the amp sounds like sh!t, but the way they describe how the controls work etc. will be instructive at least.

Post subject: Re: User manuals
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 am 
Mark IV

They seem to be pretty accurate. You can check they made many revisions to the Mark V manual and this speaks to their intention to correct possible mistakes.

Interestingly enough, the only manual I don't see included in the User Manuals is the Mark II (or II-A, if you want). Upon my request, Mesa uploaded it for a while but, after a couple of weeks, it was removed. Maybe there were some mistakes or inaccuracies in it?

Post subject: Re: User manuals
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am 
Donating Member

I found that the Boogie manuals provide very good tips on getting starting tones, especially the Mark III sheet with the settings. The Mark IV manual explains a lot about how the knobs work and why they set them up that way. I love owner's manuals anyway, something my wife is amazed at, she thinks, "take it out of the box and just experiment" whereas I always read the manual first, even if I don't take whatever it is out of the box for days, I want to know the ins and outs before I get frustrated. The Boogie manuals are fairly simple and take only a couple of minutes to read.