The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:31 pm 
Donating Member

Hey…

I appreciate the posts on this board; they have increased my enjoyment and use of my Mesa amps a lot.

I also note that some folks include the complete serial number for their equipment in their signature or in their posts. I like to do that too, but it is best not to post whole serial numbers or advertise whole serial numbers on the internet, as it gives dishonest people enough credible information to allow them to claim that you somehow stole or illegally acquired "their" amp. Even false claims could cause the local police to confiscate your amp and hold it in an evidence locker until they complete an investigation. This could take weeks if the claimant is in the same sate, months if the claimant is in a different state, and years if the claimant is in a different country.

It is always safer to post partial serial numbers that leave some measure of ambiguity or not post them at all. For example, a serial number like Mesa-000999 could be posted as Mesa-0009xx or better yet, not at all.

In most cases, no one but you and the equipment manufacturer need to know the serial number of your equipment.

This is not a criticism; just for your information, consideration and protection.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 pm 
Dual Recto

I never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:18 pm 
Mark III

very good point !

thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:56 am 
Dual Recto

So, did this actually happen to you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 am 
Dual Recto

Has it ever happened to anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 pm 
Dual Recto

Can you say "Urban Myth"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:57 am 
Mark I

Interesting point - never thought of it myself - although I've never thought of why I'd post my S/N's anyhow. I suspect providing proof of purchase - like a receipt - or warranty with the manufacture would clear up any wrongful imprisonment of your amp ...

Cheers, Peter

Mess Boogie RA-100
2 x 1936 Cab
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
MM Like II
MM Luke III
'78 Fender Stratocaster
Pedals, Pedals, Pedals ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:53 am 
Mark I

Here in TEXAS we have a solution to people trying to steal our gear. Its not a good thing for the people doing the stealing !!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:41 am 
Bottle Rocket

On the flip side, folks might think your amp is stolen since you do not post the whole serial number.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
Donating Member

Bill11 wrote:
Hey…

I appreciate the posts on this board; they have increased my enjoyment and use of my Mesa amps a lot.

I also note that some folks include the complete serial number for their equipment in their signature or in their posts. I like to do that too, but it is best not to post whole serial numbers or advertise whole serial numbers on the internet, as it gives dishonest people enough credible information to allow them to claim that you somehow stole or illegally acquired "their" amp. Even false claims could cause the local police to confiscate your amp and hold it in an evidence locker until they complete an investigation. This could take weeks if the claimant is in the same sate, months if the claimant is in a different state, and years if the claimant is in a different country.

It is always safer to post partial serial numbers that leave some measure of ambiguity or not post them at all. For example, a serial number like Mesa-000999 could be posted as Mesa-0009xx or better yet, not at all.

In most cases, no one but you and the equipment manufacturer need to know the serial number of your equipment.

This is not a criticism; just for your information, consideration and protection.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

Very good point! I was that guy who once posted in my signature the serial number of one of my amps, the funny thing is I really had no reason in doing so lol.

In addition to Bill11's original post, this would also give those dis-honest scammers here on the net the opportunity to use your s/n in claiming they have the item for sale somewhere like on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
Mark IV

Also..... Do not put your home address in your GPS as home. If someone steals your car while you are out...they have your garage remote and know right where you live. If you were dumb enough to leave the keys in the car, then you left a thief your house keys and directions how to get there!!

JP6, LP, SG, Anderson Pro-Am, Suhr, PRS, Strat, Tele, assorted victims of pentatonic hacking.

Gone - MKV, Single Rectifier, Rivera K-Tre

18 year chip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm 
Donating Member

Heritage Softail wrote:
Also..... Do not put your home address in your GPS as home. If someone steals your car while you are out...they have your garage remote and know right where you live. If you were dumb enough to leave the keys in the car, then you left a thief your house keys and directions how to get there!!

VERY TRUE!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:08 pm 
Donating Member

Glad I read that cause I HAVE posted the serial nos on line before. No mas.

Thanks for the info :)

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am 
Bottle Rocket

I could see scammers possibly using that info somehow. But the confiscation thing....I think not. No offense, just my 2 cents. Besides, I am the original owner of my DC-10 and I still have the reciept for $1350+. There are a number musician friends who know it's mine. And I have pictures of the amp with me at gigs and parties. The more I think about it, it just seems so unrealistic for that kind of thing to ever happen to anyone.

BTW - The serial number on mine is xxxxxxxxx. ;P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm 
Mark II

why would you want someone to know what you have, other than generalities, why give specifics like that.
i've always wondered that.