Multiwatt vs Trem-O-Verb

Forum specific news and announcements

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Multiwatt vs Trem-O-Verb

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:22 pm

Hi Good Folks at Grail Tone! All on TGP have told me to come here to seek the best knowledge about Mesa Boogies, so here I am.

I have a really good offer on a used 2011 Multiwatt for $1725 and also a Trem-O-Verb Rev G serial #4500, don't know the year but could be 94-99 at $2000. I am a blues player at heart, yet I am also looking for an amp in the staple that can handle metal ryrhems to pair with my SLO-100. I am impressed that these amps, I saw the trem-o-cerb hold it's ground with a wizard and mark III when boosted
Which amp would be more versatile? Tem-o- verb or multi watt ? Are there those who on a Trem-O-Verb and would miss not having the blues channel ?

Anyone use the Term-O-Verb blues channel? I find this very interesting as I play blues/rock. Saw some videos on line and definitely heard the upper mids with some sag with the blues channel.. Kinda impressive that you can get Recto scooped mid metal tones and blues upper mid range on one amp. I do wonder if the MultiWatt can achieve such tones though with some tweaking on the clean channel or crunch channel.

I appreciate it guys, looking for some thoughts on the two, thanks !

Eevil
Mark III

Re: Multiwatt vs Trem-O-Verb

Post by Eevil » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:49 am

Howdy :)

Have you checked a Roadster? That’d be my bet for bluesy/crunchy tones (Tweed channel) and has the Recto tones in spades :mrgreen:

Yet when I tested the Tremoverb I enjoyed the blues mode a bit - only prob was that the amp had to be on a loud part of sound pressure levels :lol: ..and I’m on third Roadster currently. One combo and two heads :)
Gears do rotate

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Hey there and thanks for the reply!

For me it is more about the early dual rectifier classic tone that is closer to the Rev F. This will be paired with my SLO-100 for metal ryrhems tones mostly. The blues channel is just a nice added bonus really.

Maybe I should just go for the Trem-O-Verb as it is a rev G.

LesPaul70
Mark III

Post by LesPaul70 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:20 am

If I were you, I'd just take the Trem-O-Verb and be happy. Provided that it is in working order.

Sure, the newer models offer more sounds and clear technical improvements - but at the cost of tone. I have 'modern' Mesa amps and I have older ones. The more recent (this century) models win in the features department but none of them sound as warm and organic as those older, simpler models.

The TOV was the top-of-the-line flagship model back in the day, and it's quite collectible. The serial says it's a Rev G, which is fairly close to Rev F but the Rev F is a bit more aggressive sounding. The Rev G has smoother attack and darker, woollier overall sound. But it's a relatively minor difference, if you use an OD box to tighten it up (as many metal players apparently do), the difference pretty much disappears.

Plus, the Blues mode is cool.

(I wonder if this thread is in the correct sub-forum, btw.)

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:27 pm

LesPaul70 Thank You for the response on the TOV, this helps!

I think you make a great point that the older ones have this simplicity and sought after tone without many options, especially being an early Rev G which is closer to Rev

You are certainly correct the ToV has become a collector's item and that blues channel is unique.

With a tube screamer turns that loose bottom end into focused tight mids.

Well I sat on my hands and missed the opportunity :( The amp was up on reverb for 1 week and it is gone, shows you it is certainly a sought after amp. I am now talking to a few other folks regarding other ToV.

Question, if I was to look at a modern Mess Boogie that handles blues and also a great Rectifer early tone which one would that be? The Roadster ? Eevil mentioned this

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:27 pm

My apologies for posting this somewhere else that it shouldn't be , thanks for finding it and replying

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:36 pm

Was going to get the amp modded to, I thought that would be interesting. To get the FX loop fixed and ad ways to make this a sharp knife for recording .

Maximum Guitarage
Bottle Rocket

Post by Maximum Guitarage » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:06 pm

Scratch that it is Trem-O-Verb or bust at this point.

Rev G and getting that Recto Growl that makes the Rev F famous for and a blues channel with reverb will do it for me.

The hunt continues.

Eevil
Mark III

Post by Eevil » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:40 pm

Maximum Guitarage wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:06 pm
Scratch that it is Trem-O-Verb or bust at this point.

Rev G and getting that Recto Growl that makes the Rev F famous for and a blues channel with reverb will do it for me.

The hunt continues.
Alas your first deal for ToV went south :shock:

Well.. if I had a possibility to snatch a ToV I’d not hesitate :mrgreen: that’s one amp that I’ve not had.

Every time I’ve seen ToV head for sale I’ve been completely broke :lol:
Gears do rotate

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:37 am

The Blues and Clean modes on the Tremoverb sound great for playing blues.

The other amps mention in this thread are fine. They sound good. But they are not a Tremoverb.
The Clean and Blues mode on the Tremoverb sound different than any other Mesa amp.
The Orange and Red mode on the Tremoverb is going to have a slightly different midrange than any of the other amps.
The Multi Watt is slightly brighter. The Roadster is darker.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.