Playing My School's Talent Show - LOL

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
So, I'm playing my school's talent show tomorrow. Kinda sad, to be honest. This is the first time I've actually been slightly nervous for a show, as high school students are a tough crowd to please, as you may know. They like the shittiest music, and believe it or not, hate what I'm playing.

The part I'm angry about - they gave us THREE FUCKING MINUTES to perform our ONLY song, and if they "vote" my singer and I up to the second round, we play our original. I'm not a shitty mainstream pop act, what do the **** they expect?

It'll be on channel 14 on TV, if you live in the central Jersey (Joisey, I know) and would like to watch it. We'll be known as the Groovy Blue Alligators (lol, my singer had to choose that name). If you see a dude with long hair, a Road King and an Epiphone Les Paul (because my Gibson's been in the shops for two months), that's me. We're a duet doing an acoustic - electric pair of songs.

lespaulguy32 said:
They like the sh!t music, and believe it or not, hate what I'm playing.
**** those motherfuckers.
If they only listen to Dubstep and crap music that is not even made with an instrument. They. Do. Not. Matter.
People like that only 'follow the crowd' and are the 'all my friends listen to it' kind of people.
(I'm not putting down Dubstep, just people with closed minds. I make my own techno and electronic music, so, no prejudice here.)

If you put your heart and soul into your music, real people that appreciate music will understand you.

After this gig, look for a bass player and a drummer with similar interests.
More possibilities will arise from being a 'complete band'.
My singer and I went to high school together and started a band in '89 with a bass player and drummer from another school.
A month after I turned 20, in '91, we opened up for Public Enemy.
We toured in '92 and '93. Lot's of fun being in a band.

Long story short....The band dissolved in '94, but, we got back together at the end of 2010.
Every time we play out, I feel like I'm in high school again.
To a 42 year old, that is the fountain of youth.
That and video games. (insert evil laughter while rubbing hands together)

MichaelC4 said:
lespaulguy32 said:
They like the sh!t music, and believe it or not, hate what I'm playing.
**** those motherfuckers.
If they only listen to Dubstep and crap music that is not even made with an instrument. They. Do. Not. Matter.
People like that only 'follow the crowd' and are the 'all my friends listen to it' kind of people.
(I'm not putting down Dubstep, just people with closed minds. I make my own techno and electronic music, so, no prejudice here.)

If you put your heart and soul into your music, real people that appreciate music will understand you.

After this gig, look for a bass player and a drummer with similar interests.
More possibilities will arise from being a 'complete band'.
My singer and I went to high school together and started a band in '89 with a bass player and drummer from another school.
A month after I turned 20, in '91, we opened up for Public Enemy.
We toured in '92 and '93. Lot's of fun being in a band.

Long story short....The band dissolved in '94, but, we got back together at the end of 2010.
Every time we play out, I feel like I'm in high school again.
To a 42 year old, that is the fountain of youth.
That and video games. (insert evil laughter while rubbing hands together)

Hehe, sweet, man! It's hard finding other members to do this, though. No one's into REAL music anymore... but we WILL find people, I will make it happen, I don't care what it takes.

lespaulguy32 said:
It's hard finding other members to do this, though. No one's into REAL music anymore.
Should have addressed this first.

Put up flyers in music stores or an add in Craigslist.
Look for members close to your age, with the same influences or similar musical interests.
They're around, you just have to find them and connect.

Don't commit to anyone until you....
1. know they can play
2. are sure that they aren't some kind of a-hole that you can't stand

1 is the most important.

If someone is really cool and friendly to you, but they just don't have what it takes......Don't pick them.
I don't care how nice they are. You can make a musician your friend, you can't make your friend a musician. Natural talent will show.
The drummer and bass player are the backbone of a band.
You want to build something solid.

MichaelC4 said:
lespaulguy32 said:
It's hard finding other members to do this, though. No one's into REAL music anymore.
Should have addressed this first.

Put up flyers in music stores or an add in Craigslist.
Look for members close to your age, with the same influences or similar musical interests.
They're around, you just have to find them and connect.

Don't commit to anyone until you....
1. know they can play
2. are sure that they aren't some kind of a-hole that you can't stand

1 is the most important.

If someone is really cool and friendly to you, but they just don't have what it takes......Don't pick them.
I don't care how nice they are. You can make a musician your friend, you can't make your friend a musician. Natural talent will show.
The drummer and bass player are the backbone of a band.
You want to build something solid.

Fantastically put! I've just had a hard time finding people who really ARE good enough, too. It doesn't help that I'm picky, but I want to find someone who I think knows what they're doing, AND has a good personality. My old drummer was really good, but I could not STAND his personality. I'd also like to add that having a good attitude and being a better person helps the situation out a bit.

So how did the talent show go? I remember those daze! Man, I was thinking I was big time when the cop, yes the 1 cop, had to stop the show because everyone rushed the stage. We weren't the only band, but we played Slayer, Merciful Fate and Metallica along with a ripping guitar solo, I hope I can find the tape someday, it's around here somewhere. Back in my day "The Battle of the Bands" were the proving grounds for us musicians and happened every couple of months. The trick to being a great guitarist is simple, only take your guitar off to take a shower. Eat, sleep, and drink guitar. Hendrix started playing at age 15 and died at 27, it's hard to find a picture of him without a guitar, unless he's in his army uniform. Get out as often and play wherever you can, open mics, a friend's house, retirement communities, church, panhandle on crowded sidewalks (check local laws), farmer's markets, charity events, etc., and you'll get addicted to performing. Stage fright is energy, use the force. I put myself in the crowd, figuratively, and try to give them the show I would want them to give me, and that got easier the more I did it, I kind of developed a persona I could be known for. A mentor is nice, see if you can talk to someone in your area that can give you some pointers. Good luck kid.

Markedman said:
A mentor is nice, see if you can talk to someone in your area that can give you some pointers. Good luck kid.

Where are you located in NJ? I'm not sure I can offer much in the way of pointers, other than what not to do. What is said in this post is very true. I've played with some very talented including professional musicians. I've enjoyed every moment playing with them because I was able to learn from them. I've been fortunate to work with them. Surround yourself with good musicians. You will find that you will push each other to get better and you will all be better as a band because of it.

Post your gigs. If they are in my area, I'll try to make it out.

Thank you, everybody! The show actually didn't go too awfully. I at least got a cheer out of them. I didn't win, of course, because I'm not exactly what some of my generation would consider "attractive". Also, they gave me /8 of a second soundcheck, pretty much. I wasn't even allowed to check the volume of my amp when I went on, so it was quiet. Not ONE boo-boo! One thing, though - I have absolutely zero stage fright. I wish I had it back, but I've played enough in front of people to where I don't get it. Kinda sad... :/

But yes, I am actually located in Central NJ. I go into NYC every month at least. Whether it be concerts, music stores (Rudy's is always a favorite), I always love going there. I would love to find a mentor too, but before I even continue, I need to form a band, and soon. Sad enough, still, that no one plays alternative/grunge anymore as much as I do. Though, I do think that there may be a growing scene in New York. With people such as Chris Cornell, and soon to be The Tonight Show, SOMETHING will brew, and I may be just in time for it. We shall see! I have confidence. Even if it may look bleak, I still am going to try my best with this.

knotts said:
Markedman said:
A mentor is nice, see if you can talk to someone in your area that can give you some pointers. Good luck kid.

Where are you located in NJ? I'm not sure I can offer much in the way of pointers, other than what not to do. What is said in this post is very true. I've played with some very talented including professional musicians. I've enjoyed every moment playing with them because I was able to learn from them. I've been fortunate to work with them. Surround yourself with good musicians. You will find that you will push each other to get better and you will all be better as a band because of it.

Post your gigs. If they are in my area, I'll try to make it out.

And yes, I will post my gigs. Looking at possibly trying a solo thing next summer, after I have my heart surgery. Don't worry, it's no biggie. I'm fine. :p

Thank you so much. :)

Latest posts

Back