Hudson, NY - tonight's the night 7/6/2013

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight 6:30, Downtown Hudson, NY outdoor party. Mark lll into 2 Boogafunk theile style EV's, after a few songs I'm putting in a new quad of SED Winged "C"'s. Right now it has GT6l6 & mesa EL34's and really rips. Bought Mullard 12ax7's but I like the spax in V1, but..... Guitar; San Dimas Jackson strat with Seymour Duncan Dimebucker, no tone knob, effects; Morley bad horsie - digitech whammy - Boss delay, MXR micro amp in the loop for volume increase. Guitar volume knob for cleans, channel 3 all night, Metallica/Slayer/Pantera, originals. I'll probably post a few songs on youtube. Dedicated to "Uncle Mike" who's demons got him this morning, R.I.P. brother.

The gig went great, even the cops said, "don't stop, it sounds like ZZ Top," we had just finished "Fairies Wear Boots" by Black Sabbath, so I have no idea where that came from. The cops just wanted to make sure we stopped at 10:00, cool cops.http://forum.grailtone.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=19&t=64662# There was no time to throw in the new tubes, the crowd wanted a guitar solo in between sets and you never have to ask me twice, so I threw the new tubes in today. I was hesitant to try new tubes because the amp sounds spectacular, a real fire breathing metal flame thrower with the current mesa spax7's in V1, 2 mesa 12ax7's in V3, 4 and GT ax7 in V5, GT 6l6 GE #7, Mesa str 447 EL34's, it screams so why fix something that isn't broke, but they were the tubes that came with it so I had to change them just to see if there was a difference. There is no reverb in this amp and all the sockets are marked 12ax7, strange thing is when I first bought the amp, I played it for an hour before out of curiosity I turned the reverb knob from 0 - 10 and it acted like an additional pressence knob, Mesa said take a picture of the guts a they might be able to tell me why it does it but it won't hurt anything and it's way cool, I don't care why, but I like it. I had my son take a video of before and after with the new tubes - spax7 in V1, Mullard ax7's in V2,3,4,5 and a matched quad set of SED winged "C"'s 21/2.0, Wow! I am blown away by the difference in attack, clarity, bite, growl, and overall volume increase. It was as if I took a pillow off the speaker. No latency like the Mk. IV, zero noticeable compression at full power. I don't like 1/2 power, every once in a while I try it at band practice, but I like full power even when I home playing. My son, a drummer/studio guy, was dumbfounded that there was such a noticeable difference. I'm a tone seeker/tweeker, and for that I am rewarded this time. It reminds of the time Bart Simpson asked Mr. Burns what it was like to be the richest man in the world and Mr. Burns said, "I'd trade it all for just a little more." I got a lot more.

Glad to hear it went well. I played an outdoor show that night as well. No cops but got eaten alive by bugs in the 3rd set.

Latest posts

Back