New Mesa 6L6 Tube offerings? STR 441 & 443

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
I was looking at the Mesa Boogie store for the first time in a while. I haven't been tube rolling any, just playing, for a while now.

I noticed that now instead of the usual 2 choices for 6L6 tube types, there are now 5. In addition to the usual Russian 5881 STR 425 and Chinese 6L6 STR 440, there are now two new Russian Tubes, and a Slovakian one, which is pretty obviously a JJ, the 6L6 STR 445.

The two new Russian Offerings are:

6L6 STR 441 - as far as I can tell, these are rebrands of the "Mullard" 6L6GC tube. They look somewhat like the Tung-Sol from the same factory, but the internal structuer looks closer to the Mullard. They are a short bottle type.

6L6 STR 443 - this is a big bottle type, and from what I can see, looks very similar to the Svetlana labeled 6L6GC tubes from New sensor.

Anyone have any thoughts or confirmations? I mean it's possible they are special runs for Mesa, but from what I can tell mesa hasn't really done much of that.

I have seen it too. Looks like 443 is a new PA valve for Fillmore's. Not sure if it replaces 440 or not. I have tried to google it but other than M/B website there is no more info or opinions. Looks like a new offering.

I will try to stock up 440 as I really don't mind this valve at all. It sounds great with my Fillmore

Here's all 6L6 descriptions from M/B website:

STR-440 (China)
The MESA 6L6 STR 440 is a premium grade, US equivalent with rich, defined bass, tailored mids and a shimmering top-end to keep every note amazingly intelligible, with a smooth, creamy character. Premium structural quality provides exceptional consistency and reliability, Rivals NOS (New Old Stock) durability and sonic character. They are an excellent choice for all styles of music.

STR-441 (Russia)
The STR 441 is an exceptional vintage-voiced 6L6 with superb low end, neatly tucked mids and an exceptionally smooth, tapered top-end for a warmer, richer and sweeter tone. They help provide the Treble and Presence Controls with an extended usable range without adding unwanted, detached “buzz”, "sizzle" or harshness. They're now standard in our Mark V and Lone Star amplifiers.

STR-443 (Russia)
The 6L6 STR-443 power tubes provide a great classic, vintage 6L6 voice. These nicely balanced tubes offer a deep low end, controlled and tailored low-mids with a pleasing sparkle and chime on the top-end.

STR-445 (Slovakia)
The STR-445 is a 6L6 that shares some qualities of a 6CA7 in that it has tight, articulate low-end for excellent bass definition along with beautifully balanced mid and a chiming top-end that cuts without harshness.  It's a great choice for our Rectifier Series of amps for tightening low-end while adding top end cut in a perfect “Rock/Claw” frequency while avoiding “buzz” and "sizzle" in the upper octave. They're now our standard tube for Dual and Triple Rectifiers and a great “swap and play” update for older Rectos.

I know that the STR 440 is just about the same tube as the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR, from China. It seems to have done very well as the STR 440 tube. Maybe they just want options? It does seem like they are using some tubes in specific amplifiers now, instead of all using the same output tubes.

I've got plenty of tubes for my DC-5 and Tremoverb Combo, so I doubt I'll be getting any 6L6GC tubes soon, but it's nice to keep track of what's available.

Glad they're offering a wider variety of Russian 6L6 tube sets now. There was a fire at Shuguang, where the 440 was produced, and the factory is closed.

3124+ said:
Glad they're offering a wider variety of Russian 6L6 tube sets now. There was a fire at Shuguang, where the 440 was produced, and the factory is closed.

For real? Was it something that happened recently?

Nerd said:
3124+ said:

For real? Was it something that happened recently?

The fire was August 2019. The Changsha city government will not let the factory rebuild in its original location, so they are planning to possibly rebuild in a different location.

The fire was August 2019. The Changsha city government will not let the factory rebuild in its original location, so they are planning to possibly rebuild in a different location.
You never hear anything useful on the news, who cares about some celebrities cat having a hairball! Tubes are life!

Since I learnt that I have pulled 25 sets of 440's. I dig the tubes a lot and I hope they will make them again. 25 sets IMO is a lifetime supply for my Fillmore.

@Nerd Any chance I could buy a pair of 440's from ya'? I just had one red plate in my Mark V this week and am facing the challenge of the most recent supply chain woe's to get a replacement pair on order. Sorry but I had to ask... :cry:

Back