12AX7 or 12AT7 in V6 opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvdmac

Reaction score
Hi all, very new to tube swapping so doing a load of reading. I have a MkV:25 which has a 12AX7 in V6/Driver/Phase Inverter spot. Have any of you guys any opinions/joys/horror stories with replacing the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 in the V6 spot? Just looking for some guidance before I splash out on replacement/backup tubes. Thanks Guys.

pvdmac said:
Hi all, very new to tube swapping so doing a load of reading. I have a MkV:25 which has a 12AX7 in V6/Driver/Phase Inverter spot. Have any of you guys any opinions/joys/horror stories with replacing the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 in the V6 spot? Just looking for some guidance before I splash out on replacement/backup tubes. Thanks Guys.

I know this is fairly old, but was curious if you happened to see this thread:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73352

At the end of the thread are a few posts regarding using a 12AT7 in the PI slot. With my own experience, and in different amps, I've used an NOS JAN 12AT7 in the PI slot, and in the ones mentioned in the thread. In just about any application I've tried, I have been happy with the results. For me, those were less compression, giving the amp a more "airy" feel to it. But, the combination of pickups, gain level, etc will vary the results. Personally, I like what I've found and will continue. I've even put a JAN in my TC50's V5, which requires a 12AT7. Honestly didn't hear any change, but like the military grade tube in that position.

If you've already found the thread mentioned above, my apologies for the repetition.

Latest posts

Back