Preamp tube replacment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimebag08

Reaction score
I recently picked up an Electra Dyne combo 112. Has original 6l6 tubes and original power tubes. I initially had a problem with the power tubes shaking and vibrating, one in particular. I moved the tubes around and now it seems to be better. Nownim looking at replacing a few preamp tubes. I love the clean and low gain channel but not a fan of the hi gain. It sounds thin and the distortion sounds weak and harsh to me.
Could I just replace the v1 12ax7 or would I have to change v1-3. What about the phase converter? As soon as I find out i will be using tung sol 12ax7 as I like those tubes.
Thanks for the help.

dimebag08 said:
I recently picked up an Electra Dyne combo 112. Has original 6l6 tubes and original power tubes. I initially had a problem with the power tubes shaking and vibrating, one in particular. I moved the tubes around and now it seems to be better. Nownim looking at replacing a few preamp tubes. I love the clean and low gain channel but not a fan of the hi gain. It sounds thin and the distortion sounds weak and harsh to me.
Could I just replace the v1 12ax7 or would I have to change v1-3. What about the phase converter? As soon as I find out i will be using tung sol 12ax7 as I like those tubes.
Thanks for the help.
Your 6L6GC tubes are your power tubes.

If you look in the manual (pg 37), there is a tube task chart showing the functions of each tube in the amp. I have found the Mesa's I own to be responsive to tube changes, and certain position in the signal chain react differently with different brands. I would think that a full boat of Tung-Sol reissues would thin the amp out, I like the Tung-Sol in the early gain stages, followed by a warmer tube (JJ for example) in the later gain stages. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a great PI (driver) tube.

Dom

Latest posts

Back