Preamp tube replacment

Talk about tubes and their effect on your tone

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

dimebag08
Bottle Rocket

Preamp tube replacment

Post by dimebag08 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:34 pm

I recently picked up an Electra Dyne combo 112. Has original 6l6 tubes and original power tubes. I initially had a problem with the power tubes shaking and vibrating, one in particular. I moved the tubes around and now it seems to be better. Nownim looking at replacing a few preamp tubes. I love the clean and low gain channel but not a fan of the hi gain. It sounds thin and the distortion sounds weak and harsh to me.
Could I just replace the v1 12ax7 or would I have to change v1-3. What about the phase converter? As soon as I find out i will be using tung sol 12ax7 as I like those tubes.
Thanks for the help.

domct203

Re: Preamp tube replacment

Post by domct203 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 am

dimebag08 wrote:I recently picked up an Electra Dyne combo 112. Has original 6l6 tubes and original power tubes. I initially had a problem with the power tubes shaking and vibrating, one in particular. I moved the tubes around and now it seems to be better. Nownim looking at replacing a few preamp tubes. I love the clean and low gain channel but not a fan of the hi gain. It sounds thin and the distortion sounds weak and harsh to me.
Could I just replace the v1 12ax7 or would I have to change v1-3. What about the phase converter? As soon as I find out i will be using tung sol 12ax7 as I like those tubes.
Thanks for the help.
Your 6L6GC tubes are your power tubes.

If you look in the manual (pg 37), there is a tube task chart showing the functions of each tube in the amp. I have found the Mesa's I own to be responsive to tube changes, and certain position in the signal chain react differently with different brands. I would think that a full boat of Tung-Sol reissues would thin the amp out, I like the Tung-Sol in the early gain stages, followed by a warmer tube (JJ for example) in the later gain stages. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a great PI (driver) tube.

Dom
'07 Roadster Voodoo modded
'08 Stiletto Deuce II
'10 Mark V - sold
'18 TC-100
'01 Recto 4X12 Slant
'04 Recto 4X12 Slant/Straight
'74 Les Paul Custom
'95 American Strat
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==