The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruby 6L6CGBSTR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:58 pm 
Donating Member

These are "new". Has anyone used them yet? I ordered a quad for my JP2C.
http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6 ... -bstr.html

Post subject: Re: Ruby 6L6CGBSTR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 pm 
Donating Member

I received the tubes yesterday and my initial reaction is Wow! Much clearer, smoother and dynamic than the 6L6GCMSTR. I have the amp warming up now and I'm going to play a bit and change the tubes back to hear the difference again, maybe take a video comparing tubes. I've tried the TAD tubes in my JP2C and did not like them, the set of =C= tubes I used had one tube red plate so I took a chance on these seeing that I wanted a reliable tube for other amps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:46 am 
Dual Recto

I have tried something similar. I got the preferred series version of them. I only tried them in the Mark V, sound great but a bit brighter than the TAD 6L6GC-STR. TAD version is killer in the Mark V as that amp is extremely bright - brittle ( at least mine is anyway).

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5 ... ries-6L6GC

With only 30 minutes of use on them, will have to try them in the JP. Also have a quad of NOS 1990 Svetlana's [GT gold series G2] (before they sold the trade name and changed to SED =C=). Those have many months of use in the Mark V but are still good. Also a most recent set of SED =C= that I bought just after they shut down production. (bummer).

I will let you know how the tube store preferred series sounds in the JP.

ROADSTER HD
RA100 HD
RA100 C

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm 
Mark III

Too bad there was no follow up to this thread. I am having to retube and was wondering about the difference between the BSTR and MSTR

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:32 pm 
Dual Recto

the Ruby 6L6GC MSTR is the same tube Mesa uses as the STR440. One note, I like the MSTR just a little be more in the Mark V. I also tried them out in the Roadster and they sounded about the same. I have a quad of them which have been resident in the Mark V for a while.

As for the BSTR, I only can relate to the version sold under the preferred series from the tube store. Made by same company but may have been selected differently due to sorting methods. The preferred series sounded a bit brighter in tone, similar to the 6L6GC =C= but seemed to lack that 3D gain effect that I was a staple character of that tube, TAD 6L6GC-STR has a similar effect like the =C= but darker in tonal range, almost sinister when you get them selected for the amp you intend to use them in. I preferred the Stock Mesa tube in the Roadster over the others, it really is a subjective thing sometimes. However, the TAD 6L6GC-STR ( after they had 8 months of use in the Mark V ) still sounded killer in the Roadster. Simialr to the SED =C= tone I got from the amp, probably do to the difference in bias on the Roadster vs the Mark V. Tung Sol 7581 was also a great tube too.

I do not have the BSTR Ruby tube to compare.

ROADSTER HD
RA100 HD
RA100 C