5 preamp tubes, what are they worth

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabloguitar

Reaction score
I have a set of preamp tubes that I no longer have a use for. I believe that I went with the advice from this board on picking these tubes, but that was a few years back. They were for a DR that I had and it sounded great with them, and when I sold it, I took these tubes back out and they've just been sitting in the boxes. I've looked to see what they're worth and from what I could see, this is their value.

Tesla ECC83 40.00
Hammond 12AX7 20.00
Hammond 12AX7 20.00
GE JG12AT7 WA 18.00
Kinsman 12AX7 20.00

Any help on pricing these, am I close or way off, or any interest before I put them in the classified section?

Thanks,
Paul

I was contacted by someone with a little more information about the Hammond tubes. They are Mullards, labeled as Hammond. On the side is 1022-726. Also 163 B7A3 and 163 B7A2 or 3. This designates that they are from the Blackburn factory, manufactured the 2nd and 3rd week of January, 1967. Determining their value is a little more difficult. I've seen some go for about $100 and some on Tubedepot for $200. But not all of them have sold for that much.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Yes the Hammond tubes are relabeled Mullards.
The GE labeled could be an RCA blackplate. Hard to tell from the pics.

Value is tough without testing done to the tubes.
Pre-amp tubes wear out (like any tube) but usually quicker than a power tube.
Maybe look at "sold" tube values on ebay.

I've been looking on ebay, thanks for the suggestion though. Preamp tubes wear out quicker than power tubes? I thought it was the other way around. I've read where preamp tubes in use could last years, even decades. I think I've replaced 2 preamp tubes due to them going bad in close to 30 years of using tube amps. But I've replaced more power tuber than I care to remember.

pabloguitar said:
I've been looking on ebay, thanks for the suggestion though. Preamp tubes wear out quicker than power tubes? I thought it was the other way around. I've read where preamp tubes in use could last years, even decades. I think I've replaced 2 preamp tubes due to them going bad in close to 30 years of using tube amps. But I've replaced more power tuber than I care to remember.

Sorry I mis-spoke you are correct.

Latest posts

Back