Mesa blasphemer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodleboy

Reaction score
This is probably blasphemous for this board but I'm trying to tame the gain on my minirec 25.
I'm mostly a clean player with a little od on my lead work so I'll never be using any of the high gain voices on this amp.
Will replacing preamp tubes tame the beast? And if so which tube positions and what type of tube to replace with?
Thanks all. This amp and forum are new to me and I love the clean channel for sure so I'm sticking with it.

The 5751's will help tame the gain, but don't expect it to be a night and day difference.

The drop in gain of the early gain stages may also make the clean channel lose some of it's character.

I'd still give it a go, be careful though, tube rolling can get addicting LOL.

Dom

You can also use a 12AT7 in some later gain stages, not in a cathode follower so verify if your amp has them. Your amp may sound darker or more bass, but depends on the circuit you are using it in. I would not experiment with anything lower in gain. 5751 is great, the NOS versions are more the real deal, some of the newer production units are not far off from the 12AX7.

Latest posts

Back