Noise, tube problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainMoose

Reaction score
Hey guys, I first noticed this sound a month or two ago but didn't put a lot of thought into it but would bad tubes make this sound?

https://soundcloud.com/rsk-589775408/amp-noise

I mean this is cranked. Loud. Like louder than I've ever played it but I wanted to make sure and get a clear recording to show what it sounded like. Even at band practice volumes it's not this noticeable but it does seem like it's becoming more prominent. Any ideas?

bad preamp tube or possibly poor contact of power tube pins on one tube

Cool, thanks for the response!

Hopefully this isn't too obvious of a question, but this is my first tube amp so I'll ask anyway: when you say "poor contact of the the power tube pins" do you mean it just isn't seated in properly or that the tube would have to be replaced? Also how exactly would I know if one of the pre amp tubes was bad?

power amp tube - sometimes the contacts in the tube socket don't make good contact with the tube pins, they need to be gently pried inward a bit to improve contact. careful with this, you can get shocked.

preamp tubes - sometimes they go bad. to check for microphonics gently tap on each tube while the amp is on ( like with a pencil. also, they will start to make noise, sometimes even a whistling sound. easiest way to check is to replace each tube one at a time with a known good tube and see if the noise goes away.

almost always with a tube amp the problem is tube related and easily diagnosed

Latest posts

Back