How do tubes and their position relate to each other?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parabola66

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting to this forum after lingering for a while.. I used to own a Mesa Trem0verb combo until I had to sell it for financial reasons. It was my first and only tube amp and I was completely ignorant to all the little intricacies that create a tone as the signal flows through the amp... but now I am finally at a point in my life where I can afford to afford one :lol: Looking at a used Mesa Dual Rec after the holidays here.. but I here go my questions:

How does each preamp tube position affect the sound as the signal flows through the amp. I read somewhere that Mesa Dual Recs are very preamp heavy, meaning that the final tone is created from a mix using about 60%preamp and 40%power overall. Note that I am speaking about how the tubes affect tone. Is this true? In a sense?

The answer may lead into my second question. I also understand that each preamp tube affects the way the next tube behaves, but I don't understand how. How does the position of each tube (V1, V2..ect..ect) affect the signal and the next channel of the amp? Does this same concept apply to output tubes or do they all work together at the same rate to just "push"?

My next and last question (for now).. I assume anyone who has had a tube amp, specifically a Mesa has done a lot of experimenting with different tube brands.. How do different brands affect tone. My question lies mainly with preamp tubes, as they can be mixed and matched with different brands. For example I heard somewhere that a TungSol in the V1 posistion..does something.. I forget.. but I hope you understand what I am asking here lol

Thanks to anyone who made it through this post and has some answers

The following articles might be of interest to you:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Everything_You_Ever_Wanted_to_Know_About_Preamp_Tubes

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Everything_You_Ever_Wanted_to_Know_About_Output_Tubes

Latest posts

Back