EL34 vs 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to get some new power tubes for my dual rectifier. It has the bias switch for EL34 or 6L6, so I can put in either.

Just curious of big differences. Also, if anyone has any favorite brands. I play primarily metal.

Thanks!

I prefer Tung-Sol EL34s in my Electra Dyne. I've only tried those and Mullards, and still prefer the TS. They seemed a little brighter than the Mullards, and the ED is a pretty dark amp. YMMV.

jnoel64 said:
I prefer Tung-Sol EL34s in my Electra Dyne. I've only tried those and Mullards, and still prefer the TS. They seemed a little brighter than the Mullards, and the ED is a pretty dark amp. YMMV.

Do you mean the EL34B's?

How about matching tubes? Do they need to be matched?

Also, if I use the same tube style ie: EL34's, can I use different brands at the same time?

jnoel64 said:

I've explored these, now that SED has stopped producing tubes and I really like them. I have a pair in my closet for when I run out of my =C= EL34s.

n.martinez2740 said:
I need to get some new power tubes for my dual rectifier. It has the bias switch for EL34 or 6L6, so I can put in either.

Just curious of big differences. Also, if anyone has any favorite brands. I play primarily metal.

Thanks!
I've tried it with a Triple Recto, and my Roadster ,and felt the differences were very subtle with high gain in Vintage or Modern.

http://youtu.be/IPTtbk-b1H4

Dom

Latest posts

Back