Suggestions for Alternative tubes I can put in my TA-15?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Nights

Reaction score
Aloha, Its time to put new tubes in my Ta-15, I'm of the opinion that there has to be a higher quality set of tubes i can pop directly in my amp. I've talked to Doug from Dougstubes.com and he suggested his 12ax7 tube kit and NOS Soviet 6N14N-EB. He seems to know what he's talking about, but I'm not sure that he knows my particular model and is aware of the fact that the bias can not be easily changed on this particular amp. Any thoughts of suggestions for alternatives or should i just suck it up and use the suggested Mesa tubes?

The link below is a list and description of the kit he suggested for my preamp.

http://www.dougstubes.com/guitar-amp-tube-kits/preamp-tone-kits/preamp-tonekit-12ax7-4.html

I wouldn't worry. The reputable tube brokers are well aware of Mesa's fixed bias design. In fact, they are taking advantage of this fact by offering a variety of different tubes so that we are not strictly limited to Mesa's brand.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with Mesa tubes, and the sellers all test their tubes to match Mesa amps, pretty much like Mesa does. It's not exactly nuclear rocket surgery, but it's great to have choices.

Thank you both very much, this puts my mind at ease! I had a fender hot rod before and
Never had to worry about this sort of thing. Knowing that the tubes i'm going order will not cause major damage is a relief. I will also try out eurotubes that sounds like a good lead!

Eurotubes only sells JJ, which is what the stock Mesa tubes are to start with. You probably won't see much of a difference with tubes from them as you would from another seller with different brands.

Back