Help with tube position in Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SineB

Reaction score
Replacement tubes kit for the Mesa Mark 5. The set features JJ Gold Tubes as preamp tubes. The set includes the following tubes:

6x JJ ECC83S Gold
1x JJ ECC83S Gold Balanced
1x JJ 5U4GB
4x JJ 6L6GC Platinum Matched

I didn't receive any explanation with tubes. So my questions are:
1. Position for Balanced ECC83S
2. Also, is it important where to put which one of 6L6?

Thanks!

The best position for the Balanced tube is in the Phase inverter position (V7).

As for the power tubes, the quad should be a matched set. It is very important not to install a 6L6 in the Rectifier position.
The Rectifier tube is closest to the power cord. There should be a plate on the inside of the cabinet indicating tube position if you accidentally remove all tubes and forget where the Rectifier goes. There is also the online manual for reference as a back up. When installing the power tubes, put in the Rectifier tube first. That way you will not accidentally install it in the wrong spot. The internals of the Rectifier tube will be similar to the preamp tubes in that there are two plate structures where as the 6L6 power tubes only have one.
I had almost made that mistake and I know what tubes should look like. Unfortunately the amp is not marked to indicate where the rectifier tube goes.

Latest posts

Back