Tung-Sol 12AX7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
I primarily use Tube Depot, occasionally The Tube Store, and rarely Doug's Tubes. It appears that, of the three, Doug's is the only site that carries the Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7. Can anyone really tell me the difference in tone between the reissue tube and the new production? Obviously, I realize tone is subjective; just looking for a general idea.

I've been using the new production tubes and am very happy, but I'm always curious about what tube changes can do for tone.

He's just the only one that calls them Reissue. Which is accurate, because the original American Tung-Sols from NJ have been out of production in quite a while :wink:

Jackie said:
He's just the only one that calls them Reissue. Which is accurate, because the original American Tung-Sols from NJ have been out of production in quite a while :wink:

I have bought the TS 12ax7 at Tube Depot. But I don't recall if they call it a 'reissue' or not.
What I can say about the new production version is I am impressed with this tube. Seems to have strong gain, clear tone and works well in every amp I own.

You could do worse, that's for sure! :)

Tube Depot calls them "new production." The Tube Store just calls them "Tung-Sol 12AX7." Guess what I have is what I'm looking for. I use three of them in my Dyne: V1-V3. Absolutely LOVE the tone.

Whatever they are called, there's only one current production Tung-Sol 12AX7 out there, I assure you (not counting the "gold-pin" version)

http://www.svetlana.com/ProductListing.aspx?CatId=48

Either way, they're a good fit for a Mesa amp IMO. It cleaned up the Lead 1 channel on my TriAxis considerably, made the midrange and high and smoother and the bass tighter. Also sounds good in the PI of my 2:90, nice dynamics and very clear, balanced tone.

Latest posts

Back