DC-2 Mesa preamp tubes question and help for lead channel.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabotah

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, fist of all i have this amp for 5 years and inside the amp there where 5 Mesa STR 12ax7A tubes and one sovtek 12ax7wa on the effect loop position, i dont know how many years they where before i bought the amp but the are all ok no michphonic and very good sound, i would really want to know what they are and what reviews of these tubes do you have .
w8rtwl.jpg

when the time passed i wanted to taste, to change tubes and see what the difference was, i first changed the v1 for the tung sol and it brought down the gain a bit,but not too much.
and finally i changed the v6 (PI) for a GT 12at7 gold which smoothed everything i love how my rythm channel sound, really it´s incredible i would like to make a recording to let you see because i laugh alone cant beliving my rig sound this way, but in the lead/countour channels still too much gain because i play blues and rock nothing of metal and disto is too high for me but it didnt make such difference that could make me use more the lead/contour chanels, i would like yo hear if you think that the gain can be changed to a more marshally distorsion for guns n roses tone withought using my ocd on the clean chanel which really comes close.
thanks, Gabriel

i forgot to put the tubes position chart for my amp, is the same as the picture in the preamp section, my power tubes are 2 EL84.

Back