Mark 3 Starter Tube Set

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
So i need to get some new tubes... for a mark 3 blue stripe combo..
need some new SPARE tubes... for a MArk 3 blue stripe combo...reverb and EQ

2 EL34
2 6L6
5 12AX7

i'm planned to get a set of "as close to original" tubes as I can.. any suggestions on this?

then i was hoping to try some of the different tubes in my pre-amp sockets and power amp as matched sets.....

I also wondered about any suggestions on a second set of tubes I should get for my amp to try different effects...

started reading about this and i got somewhat confused so any help clearing this up (if possible) would be appreciated from those with tube experience in Mark 3's...

My Mark III came with RCA 6CA7/EL34 in the large bottle, RCA 6L6GC, and all Mesa Chinese square getter 12ax7a tubes.

EH EL34 are not bad, but the SED =C= EL34 are the best I have heard. Same goes for the SED =C= 6L6GC. The SED tubes are the closest to the original RCA as you can get. You can also mix TAD6L6GC STR with the SED =C= 6L6GC and have something completely sinister. The TAD6L6GC STR sound very close to 6CA7 but 6L6GC tubes. Combined with the SED =C= 6L6GC you will get super complex harmonics. I was blown away with this arrangement in my Mark IV (need a 412 cab for the full effect, not possible with single speaker, I have a Fane Studio 12L in the Mark IV which is very close in tone to the EVM12L Classic, however, EVM12L black Label speaker is the closest match to the EVM12L black shadow speaker. )

I probably would not bother with JJ 6CA7, I tried them and they did not survive very long. Also way too deep for single EVM12L. I did like them in the MARK V until they blew up.
Tung Sol 7581 mixed with EH EL34 sounds really great together in a Mark IV. I know not the same as the Mark III but close since the Mark III blue was the parent to the Mark IV and Rectifier amps (I could be wrong, not up on Mesa Trivia).

The Mesa (JJ) 12ax7A tubes are not all that bad. I still have the Chinese Mesa tubes from my Mark III days and I am currently using them in my Mark IV combo, Mark V head and in my RA100. Basically a mix of current Mesa and the old Chinese versions form the 90's. Tung Sol 12ax7 are good tubes. The Mark IV sounds the best with all TS preamp tubes.

I did not venture outside of Mesa branded tubes until after I sold the Mark III. (not entirely true, I did use the Sovtek EL34 and 5881 tubes when I could no longer find the EL34/6CA7 large bottle tubes or Mesa branded power tubes of any type. Also tried GT 6L6GC (not really sure if they were Chinese, Russian but I know they were not Svetlana (SED) I have a set of those relabeled by GT. They may have been Sylvania. As I can remember, My Mark III blue had more of a darker bluesy tone to it than the Mark IV or other Mesa amp I now have. I may not be able to suggest the best tubes for what you seek.

Not quite sure how the Gold Lion KT77 will sound in a Mark III. They are incredible in my Mark V head. I have not tried a pair in my Mark IV yet so how it would sound as an integrated quad I cannot say. I tried them in the RA100 and prefer the SED =C= EL34 the best.

When you order power tubes, make sure that you state they are for use in a COMBO amp and Mesa Mark III bias.

bandit2013 said:
My Mark III came with RCA 6CA7/EL34 in the large bottle, RCA 6L6GC, and all Mesa Chinese square getter 12ax7a tubes.

EH EL34 are not bad, but the SED =C= EL34 are the best I have heard. Same goes for the SED =C= 6L6GC. The SED tubes are the closest to the original RCA as you can get. You can also mix TAD6L6GC STR with the SED =C= 6L6GC and have something completely sinister. The TAD6L6GC STR sound very close to 6CA7 but 6L6GC tubes. Combined with the SED =C= 6L6GC you will get super complex harmonics. I was blown away with this arrangement in my Mark IV (need a 412 cab for the full effect, not possible with single speaker, I have a Fane Studio 12L in the Mark IV which is very close in tone to the EVM12L Classic, however, EVM12L black Label speaker is the closest match to the EVM12L black shadow speaker. )

I probably would not bother with JJ 6CA7, I tried them and they did not survive very long. Also way too deep for single EVM12L. I did like them in the MARK V until they blew up.
Tung Sol 7581 mixed with EH EL34 sounds really great together in a Mark IV. I know not the same as the Mark III but close since the Mark III blue was the parent to the Mark IV and Rectifier amps (I could be wrong, not up on Mesa Trivia).

The Mesa (JJ) 12ax7A tubes are not all that bad. I still have the Chinese Mesa tubes from my Mark III days and I am currently using them in my Mark IV combo, Mark V head and in my RA100. Basically a mix of current Mesa and the old Chinese versions form the 90's. Tung Sol 12ax7 are good tubes. The Mark IV sounds the best with all TS preamp tubes.

I did not venture outside of Mesa branded tubes until after I sold the Mark III. (not entirely true, I did use the Sovtek EL34 and 5881 tubes when I could no longer find the EL34/6CA7 large bottle tubes or Mesa branded power tubes of any type. Also tried GT 6L6GC (not really sure if they were Chinese, Russian but I know they were not Svetlana (SED) I have a set of those relabeled by GT. They may have been Sylvania. As I can remember, My Mark III blue had more of a darker bluesy tone to it than the Mark IV or other Mesa amp I now have. I may not be able to suggest the best tubes for what you seek.

Not quite sure how the Gold Lion KT77 will sound in a Mark III. They are incredible in my Mark V head. I have not tried a pair in my Mark IV yet so how it would sound as an integrated quad I cannot say. I tried them in the RA100 and prefer the SED =C= EL34 the best.

When you order power tubes, make sure that you state they are for use in a COMBO amp and Mesa Mark III bias.

Wow thanks that's a ton of info, much appreciated...priceless

After I sold the amp, along with the extra tubes I had since I was not sure if they were good or bad. I asked my friend if his son would not mind giving up the old Mesa tubes. Now I have the originals for the Mark III.

The large bottle EL34/6CA7 were printed in blue, STR413 (hard to see the last number but looks like a 3) Dual pan type getter RCA, made in USA (also embossed on the base USA). The Original 6L6GC were Mesa STR415 also RCA with dual halo getters made in USA. When I went to replace the EL34/6CA7, they were the small bottle EL34/6CA7 Mesa STR440 but no country of origin printed on the glass or embossed on the base. Still marked as EL34/6CA7. The large bottle RCA sounded the best, as did the 6L6GC. If they were still good, they would be treasures but they are now and have been used up.

Note: The JJ6CA7 is nothing like the old RCA Mesa branded tube. I did like the tone in the Mark V but they did not last very long. I lost one tube (internal issue would turn off). Then Put two of the survivors in the Mark IV (had them in there before which were okay) but they turned into plasma cutters and suddenly crapped out. I did not get very much use out of them. I am basically done with JJ power tubes. The Gold Lion KT77 are sweet in their own way. At the moment they are not in use since I favor the SED =C= 6L6GC in the Mark V and the SED =C= EL34 in the RA100. I have a set of Svetlana (not the originals since they are just a trade name, made by Reflektor company in Russia that makes other brands like sovtek, EH, Mullard, Tung Sol etc.... ). I could not tell the difference of the Svetlana in the Mark IV when compared to the SED tubes unless I channel the amp into one of my 412 cabs. The Svetlana are not bad but not as good as the Original makers of the Svetlana tubes which is SED with the =c= logo.

If you are interested in the 6CA7 tube, try the EH 6CA7. I have been using those for years in a Carvin Vai Legacy, and they are the best tubes I ever tried in that amp. They have never failed me in any setting, and my Legacy is a combo, so it heats up more than a head version would. From reviews I have read on the JJ's (and posts here), I would never buy a set of those.

Google "Eurotubes". I've never tried them, but he has several different sets of Mark III replacements for different sounds.
The Tube Store and Tube Depot are also good places to look.

bandit2013 said:
After I sold the amp, along with the extra tubes I had since I was not sure if they were good or bad. I asked my friend if his son would not mind giving up the old Mesa tubes. Now I have the originals for the Mark III.

The large bottle EL34/6CA7 were printed in blue, STR413 (hard to see the last number but looks like a 3) Dual pan type getter RCA, made in USA (also embossed on the base USA). The Original 6L6GC were Mesa STR415 also RCA with dual halo getters made in USA. When I went to replace the EL34/6CA7, they were the small bottle EL34/6CA7 Mesa STR440 but no country of origin printed on the glass or embossed on the base. Still marked as EL34/6CA7. The large bottle RCA sounded the best, as did the 6L6GC. If they were still good, they would be treasures but they are now and have been used up.

Note: The JJ6CA7 is nothing like the old RCA Mesa branded tube. I did like the tone in the Mark V but they did not last very long. I lost one tube (internal issue would turn off). Then Put two of the survivors in the Mark IV (had them in there before which were okay) but they turned into plasma cutters and suddenly crapped out. I did not get very much use out of them. I am basically done with JJ power tubes. The Gold Lion KT77 are sweet in their own way. At the moment they are not in use since I favor the SED =C= 6L6GC in the Mark V and the SED =C= EL34 in the RA100. I have a set of Svetlana (not the originals since they are just a trade name, made by Reflektor company in Russia that makes other brands like sovtek, EH, Mullard, Tung Sol etc.... ). I could not tell the difference of the Svetlana in the Mark IV when compared to the SED tubes unless I channel the amp into one of my 412 cabs. The Svetlana are not bad but not as good as the Original makers of the Svetlana tubes which is SED with the =c= logo.

maybe (if you have a few minutes) you could post some pictures if you have some time... be nice to see what the originals actually look like... thanks...

cant wait to try some new tubes...

overall, which tubes have the "most" effect? pre-amp or power tubes? or they both really make a difference?

bandit2013 said:
I can post a link to the photo.

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/bandit2013/media/P3110562_zps5dc2e58a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

You will have to use the scroll in the photo bucket to see the tubes. Original Mark III when I bought it had the large bottle RCA EL34/6CA7 (note the three holes in the plate). The other pair of power tubes were RCA 6L6GC, note the plates have no cut-outs. The other were the Mesa replacements I got in 1990.

Thanks for the pictures.. did you interchange the EL34 and the 6L6? or you have 2 of each like my amp?

I read this: "Another option is to swap your 6L6's with EL34's. EL34's have a darker tone, they break up a lot earlier than the 6L6, and their overdriven sound is radically different than a 6L6. If you're looking for a big change in tone, then this may be just what you're looking for."

I always kept the integrated quad in the Mark III. After I bought the Mark IV which I thought was the holy grail amp, I re-tubed the Mark III with all 6L6GC so I could use it as a slave amp for stereo sound. I thought the Mark III sounded really good with 6L6GC in all 4 positions. I wish I discovered the SED (Svetlana's) a long time ago, those would have sounded great in that amp. Even better with SED EL34 and SED 6L6GC. The full 6L6GC quad that I got for it were Groove Tubes, exactly what make they were was unknown. The original tubes sounded the best. Things just went down hill from there, more or less settle on what you could get (that was early 2000).

Well I finally managed to get the first set of tubes...

Opened the box to find the following tubes:
2 sets of GT-6L6-CHPD-M 113497. The boxes are marked "5" and are matched sets...
5x GT-12AX7-C 112398

Any thoughts? my mark 3 combo amp has the oem Mesa 12AX7 and 2 EL34 and 2 6L6 tubes..
So I will be switching the EL34's for 6L6's... Is that ok to do? Saw some posts saying yes, it's perfectly fine to interchange the EL34's to 6L6's....

And when you run the amp in class a mode, only one set of tubes will be "working". Does that mean that the other 2 tubes not used in class a mode will have no effect on the sound? Or even though they are not "used" they would still have an effect on the sound?

Would these be close to what came in the Mark3 amp when shipped from Mesa boogie?

Thanks, any thoughts appreciated.

To answer your question, the outer two sockets are biased on the hot side for 6L6GC tubes and enough to operate EL34 (on the cold side) In other words, this is how most of the simul-Class circuits are designed. The outer two sockets are the primary and used as extended Class A, Either 6L6GC or EL34 type tubes can be used. The inner two sockets are biased specifically for 6L6GC and will not operate hot enough to run EL34. An important note: Only Simil-Class amplifiers (and it must be speficied) can use either 6L6GC or EL34 type tubes in the outer sockets due to how the circuit is biased. Under no circumstances can you just swap a 6L6 with an EL34 tube (or vice versa) and expect it to work for long. The inner sockets are biased only for use with 6L6. Also as is the case with many other amps that can run 4 6L6 or 4 EL34, there is a bias switch to match the tube in use. So amps like the Mark III and Mark IV can operate 6L6 or EL34 in the outer sockets only since the bias of the circuit was designed to do so.

The Mark III will have a different character with all 6L6GC. I actually liked it. You will be fine with all 4 = 6L6 tubes in the amp, just do not try all 4 = EL34 since this will cause damage to the amp and tubes.

bandit2013 said:
To answer your question, the outer two sockets are biased on the hot side for 6L6GC tubes and enough to operate EL34 (on the cold side) In other words, this is how most of the simul-Class circuits are designed. The outer two sockets are the primary and used as extended Class A, Either 6L6GC or EL34 type tubes can be used. The inner two sockets are biased specifically for 6L6GC and will not operate hot enough to run EL34. An important note: Only Simil-Class amplifiers (and it must be speficied) can use either 6L6GC or EL34 type tubes in the outer sockets due to how the circuit is biased. Under no circumstances can you just swap a 6L6 with an EL34 tube (or vice versa) and expect it to work for long. The inner sockets are biased only for use with 6L6. Also as is the case with many other amps that can run 4 6L6 or 4 EL34, there is a bias switch to match the tube in use. So amps like the Mark III and Mark IV can operate 6L6 or EL34 in the outer sockets only since the bias of the circuit was designed to do so.

The Mark III will have a different character with all 6L6GC. I actually liked it. You will be fine with all 4 = 6L6 tubes in the amp, just do not try all 4 = EL34 since this will cause damage to the amp and tubes.

I say simulclasd because of the switch on back says class a or simulclass...

As shipped, the mark 3 has 2 valve art EL34 on the outside and 2 sovtek 5881WXT on the insides..

This means these tubes (5881WXT) were swapped for the 6L6's at some point... Is that ok?

5881 are essentially Soviet military grade 6L6GC. They do have slightly less wattage capacity than most 6L6GC.
The 6L6 type tubes include the 6L6GC, 5881, 7581 (higher wattage version of the 5881), and KT66 (may not fit all applications depending on tube spacing).
I liked the 7581 in both my Mark V and Mark IV. I have used EL34 with 5881 in my Mark III when I owned it. That is what was in the amp when I sold it. I sort of wonder if the quad of GT 6L6GC tubes I had were the GT6L6R-2 (those would have been Svetlana ( real deal SED tubes). At that time, GT was the only brand available in most places that sold tubes. I did not care much for the skinny EL34/6CA7 tubes, only the large bottle versions were the best.

Back