Subway Rocket Pre Amp Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreverstrung

Reaction score
I recently picket up a Subway Rocket and am looking for any thoughts on the best pre amp set ups. Not worried about spending a few dollars on old stock tubes. Within reason.
Appreciate it

I've had a couple of Subways (see list below). Cool little amps, great grab and go.

In my opinion the first best thing you can do is replace the speaker. On my Subway Blues I also front-mounted it, pretty easy to do with some T-nuts from the hardware store. Every cubic inch helps with that tiny box. It also makes it easier for a larger magnet to clear the innards.

I hugely prefer cast frame speakers, the bass just sounds cleaner to me. I had a Peavey Scorpion in mine, it **** all over the stock speaker. Another option would be a JBL MI-10. Seek out a well broken in one with original cone if possible.

That done, try a 5751 in both V1 and V2. This will bring down the gain a bit but you want to get the output section working to get the best tone out of these amps. Vintage 5751 are not too expensive, get a nice one. GE 5 star is a great tube. 12ax7 is fine for V3.

Last but not least, try a 12at7 in V4, I just snagged a GE 5 star with perfectly matched triodes (important for phase inverter tube) from a solid seller on ebay for $8 delivered.

That is what I would do, YMMV.

Is this an aceptable speaker SixVeeSix
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MI-10-10-MIDRANGE-FROM-A-MR838-SPEAKER-/111269726711?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item19e83149f7
also, that scorpian, 10", or can I get a 12" to fit from a front mount? I

V1 is the preamp tube closest to the input jack on all Mesa amps.

That JBL looks like a great speaker. Stick with a 10", even if you could stuff a 12" in there the cabinet is too small to let it sound any bigger.

You may have to rear mount the JBL, the front flange is pretty thick and may not clear the cut out in the grill panel. The Scorpion flange is trimmed off square and much thinner so it front mounts nicely. JBL will give you more street creds, people be dissin' on the Peavey stuff even though Scorps are really nice guitar speakers.

Plus it is easy to put back to stock if you decide to sell it later.

I put all new Tung Sol's in my Rocket 44, but I agree strongly with everything sixveesix said. However, with the hot bias on these amps, I have only had good luck with JJ power tubes.

To my ears, Mesa amps and EV speakers are a match made in tone heaven! But I've never been able to get an EV to front mount, it never sits down flush in the cutout. And those early Mesa amps don't have tnuts, and they somehow managed to find the most hard-as-a-rock plywood for those baffle boards. Be prepared to have thumb and wrist therapy after you screw an EV speaker into that baffle. Like screwing into granite!

But man O man will it sound good! Especially if your amp has a 10 incher, there is no other 10 inch speaker I've found that can do what a 10 inch EV can do. My Subway was the first amp I owned that made the horn section guys tell me to turn down a bit.

Latest posts

Back