Mark III Tube swap and Treasure Found!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJPattP

Reaction score
I decided to take a look at the preamp tubes in my Wicker n Wood Combo last night.

Guess what? Telefunken tube was found in V1. AWESOME!!!!!
All others check out to be older Mesa Chinese tubes. Makes sense right?

In the spare the 12AX7 holder i found a groove tube and that checks out to be a USA GE 12AX7WA!!!!!

Now just taking a look at the 2 tubes the Telefunken has longer plates then the GE. So........ I put the GE12AX7WA in V1 and the Tele in V2. Hoping the GE will quiet things down and the Tele will rage with distortion.

I am hoping for something special when I fire up this amp tonite.

Does anyone have a Tele or GE in their Mark III's?

I will do my homework on the swap and report later.

Jam on!!

k it smoothed everything

Then it kicked ***.

So the Telefunken in V2 is the way to go

And these are the tubes that came with my Brother's amp

Mesa branded STR-416 EL34's on the outsides and Mesa branded STR-415 6L6's in the middle. I could only imagine how much a Simul-Class Sylvania Quartet would cost!!!!!!!!

DSC_0765_zps872b1a95.jpg

And here is a pic that you can easily see what these are.

Side by side. Left are the STR-415 6L6 GC's and the right one is a STR-416 EL34/6CA7
DSC_0758_zpsbfecbb4c.jpg

DJPattP said:
MrMarkIII said:
Try the Tele in V3. That's the Lead channel.

Yeah................Thats an awesome idea!!!

Tried it but at the same time I put a GE12AX7WA in V1.

I notice more of a "musical" tone but the Heavy Distortion seemed to have gone away. It wasn't a bad thing but I think I will put a Chinese one in V1 and try that. I will try putting the Teleback in V1 and the GE12AX7WA in V3 and see what happens there. I suspect that the Tele's home will be in V1 but there is no harm in trying.

Will advise again.

Latest posts

Back