A Little Insight into Mesa's Thinking.

Talk about tubes and their effect on your tone

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

MesaENGR412
Single Recto

Post by MesaENGR412 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks Guitarzan, that was very informative! It's great to have some of those questions answered.

-AJH
Fractal Axe FX II MK II/GCP
Multiwatt Dual Rec Blackface/White tolex-EL34
Recto 4x12-C90/V30 x pattern, RK 2x12 - White Bronco/Black grille
Schecter SLS-FR/Hellraiser Extreme-FR/Blackjack C7-FR
Endorsements: Mesa Boogie/Schecter/Planet Waves/D'Addario

faitaccompli
Bottle Rocket

Groove tubes

Post by faitaccompli » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Guys, Don't make the mistake for one minute that Groove Tubes are made in the US. They are ONLY manufactured in Russia, Czeck Republic, Yuogslavia and China. Aspen Pittman has been selling that misinformation and "snake oil" for years and if Mesa does a deal with them it is due to distribution and $$$ reasons only. So he tests them for gas and transconductance, big deal, that's basic quality control fo all tube manufacturers. Svetlanas winged Cs are among the best of the Russian EL34s currently manufacured. The current "Mullard EL34" are not made in the US but in Russia, and imported distributed by MArk Samson's New Sensor company. Don't be fooled!

Guitarzan
Donating Member

Re: Groove tubes

Post by Guitarzan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:59 pm

faitaccompli wrote:Hi Guys, Don't make the mistake for one minute that Groove Tubes are made in the US. They are ONLY manufactured in Russia, Czeck Republic, Yuogslavia and China. Aspen Pittman has been selling that misinformation and "snake oil" for years and if Mesa does a deal with them it is due to distribution and $$$ reasons only. So he tests them for gas and transconductance, big deal, that's basic quality control fo all tube manufacturers. Svetlanas winged Cs are among the best of the Russian EL34s currently manufacured. The current "Mullard EL34" are not made in the US but in Russia, and imported distributed by MArk Samson's New Sensor company. Don't be fooled!
Thanks, we understand this...
"Fifty bucks that the Smails kid picks his nose...Fifty more says he eats it"!

Russ
Mark IV Lover

Post by Russ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:49 am

Russ wrote:I would think that Mesa would have to give consideration to GT as a better tube screener than they are themselves because they are without a doubt.
I don't think someone read my post clearly. Again...

I would think that Mesa would have to give consideration to GT as a better tube screener than they are themselves because they are without a doubt.

Russ
Mark IV Lover

Post by Russ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:53 am

As far as what faitaccompli wrote:

I would have to say that it is hard to even think that GT actually makes their own tubes because they have designations that signify what tube it is that is screened though they were instrumental in the retooling and reissue of some tubes. :P

But yeah, anyone who thinks GT is the actual manufacturer of the tubes that they market is a fool and deserves to pay more than what GT already overcharges.

6L6C
Donating Member

Post by 6L6C » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Guitarzan wrote:
Platypus wrote:I can definetly understand this from a buisness point of view but a tube failure isn't such a catastrophic thing to me as an end user who takes a solid interest in what I'm playing through. The off chance that I'll have to replace tubes is worth the 50 bucks to have better tone for the countless times they work perfectly fine.

It is what it is

Agreed.
I agree also! I don’t care what company it is and don’t care if they last 50% as long as the next guy. Long as I get the sound I want.

ur86d
Mark II

Post by ur86d » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:47 am

This might be a stupid question. But it's one i'm curious about anyway. Now it was mentioned in the the origional post that a major part of how mesa chooses their tubes is based on reliability and tube life. which is defintely understandable in my mind. It's also mentioned that they like the sound of the JJ's but don't feel their lifetime is up to par.

Well i was just curious if this or a similar follow-up question has ever been asked of a Mesa insider. the question would be, In the course of thier testing, which tubes did they prefer the sound of most without factoring in tube life? I mean i understand they HAVE to balance both sides here reguarding tube life and sound. But i'm curious what tubes (being manufactured today) mesa thinks sounds best reguardless of tube life.

Rocky
Single Recto

Post by Rocky » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:48 am

Guitarzan wrote:Andy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He did his first set through an LSC 2x12 with an extention 2x12 cab. Very organic sound, this was his mellow set. The second set was through a Series II Stiletto Deuce. This set just kicked ass! His tone and technique were amazing! His signautre Ibanez was a cool piece as well. Mahagony S-series body with a maple cap in vintage sunburst. The neck was a bit thicker than the original wizard necks, a Wilkinson trem, and two Dimarzio custom pickups. Try and get him in your town, you won't be dissapointed.
Andy's sig guitars dont have a maple cap. I have the AT300 and an AT100. The 300 is a mahogany body and the 100 is an alder body with a pickguard. The 300 has 2 cruisers and a custom AT humbucker in the bridge...it sounds a lot like a breed with a little more sizzle.

Guitarzan
Donating Member

Post by Guitarzan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Rocky wrote:
Guitarzan wrote:Andy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He did his first set through an LSC 2x12 with an extention 2x12 cab. Very organic sound, this was his mellow set. The second set was through a Series II Stiletto Deuce. This set just kicked ass! His tone and technique were amazing! His signautre Ibanez was a cool piece as well. Mahagony S-series body with a maple cap in vintage sunburst. The neck was a bit thicker than the original wizard necks, a Wilkinson trem, and two Dimarzio custom pickups. Try and get him in your town, you won't be dissapointed.
Andy's sig guitars dont have a maple cap. I have the AT300 and an AT100. The 300 is a mahogany body and the 100 is an alder body with a pickguard. The 300 has 2 cruisers and a custom AT humbucker in the bridge...it sounds a lot like a breed with a little more sizzle.

The one he personally plays HAS a maple cap. I held it and looked it over in his presence.

Lean
Bottle Rocket

Tubes

Post by Lean » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:39 am

I have a Mark iv wide head and when I bought it it came 4 6L6's in it (6L6 GC-STR 440) Two yellow and two grey. I put in two EL-34's (red) on the outside and I kept my yellow's in the middle. I haven't tried the grey's with this configuration yet. Whats the difference between the colors- red, grey, yellow etc.? Whats the difference between the pre-amp tubes colors?
And how can I get more distortion out of my rhy. 2 channel?

Guitarzan
Donating Member

Re: Tubes

Post by Guitarzan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:00 am

Lean wrote:I have a Mark iv wide head and when I bought it it came 4 6L6's in it (6L6 GC-STR 440) Two yellow and two grey. I put in two EL-34's (red) on the outside and I kept my yellow's in the middle. I haven't tried the grey's with this configuration yet. Whats the difference between the colors- red, grey, yellow etc.? Whats the difference between the pre-amp tubes colors?
And how can I get more distortion out of my rhy. 2 channel?
Only the power tubes have a color rating. As far as Mesa goes the pre's are usually chinese or russian. For more dist. try JJ ECC83's.

Lean
Bottle Rocket

Post by Lean » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks for the assistance.

Guitarzan
Donating Member

Post by Guitarzan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:52 am

No problem, you might want to read through the posts here in "Tubes". There are a wide variety of ideas on tube mixtures and settings. Best of luck to you.

mextremist666
Bottle Rocket

tubes??

Post by mextremist666 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:14 am

newbie in da house.....so is it safe to retube w/ ruby's in my mk 4 since mesa uses em, i found em on sale, just looking for a balanced sound to cove blues to metal????

Guitarzan
Donating Member

Post by Guitarzan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:47 am

You can, You'll probably be putting in the same tube you're taking out. If you want to mellow out look to your pre amp section first. For chill out put a 5751 JAN in V1, For a bit hotter but not as hot as you had go with the Groove Tube 12AX7-M.