iic+ tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codasound

Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive looked all over the place and cant seem to find this answer. What preamp tubes were originally shipped with the iic+. Im aware they were relabled something... but what???

Also, was this during the time that Boogie was using the STR-415??

Thanks a ton guys!

codasound said:
Hey guys. Ive looked all over the place and cant seem to find this answer. What preamp tubes were originally shipped with the iic+. Im aware they were relabled something... but what???

Also, was this during the time that Boogie was using the STR-415??

Thanks a ton guys!

Yes indeed it was :D

It's what you want to have in it too in my view.

Thanks bud!!! Im running good ol winged C's currently...getting ready to pull the trigger on the 415s soon...man their up there price wise. But so was the price of the c+ when i bought it. No idea on the preamp tubes huh?

codasound said:
Thanks bud!!! Im running good ol winged C's currently...getting ready to pull the trigger on the 415s soon...man their up there price wise. But so was the price of the c+ when i bought it. No idea on the preamp tubes huh?

When I bought mine in late 84 it had 5 Sylvania 7025 (12AX7) as pre amp tubes and 4 Sylvania STR415'S (HRG). That amp and it's tubes have been long gone. I acquired some C'age this last year and after reading (on this forum) how much STR415's improve the tone compared to modern tubes, I bought some from a reputable vintage tube dealer on e-bay. You're right, they ain't cheap but like you said neither is a C+. I gotta say they were worth the money, they brought back the tone I remembered. And that's the tone I was trying to dial in the whole time. Should have just bought the vintage Sylvanias from the start. Would have saved me time and money.

Buster Leggs said:
codasound said:

When I bought mine in late 84 it had 5 Sylvania 7025 (12AX7) as pre amp tubes and 4 Sylvania STR415'S (HRG). That amp and it's tubes have been long gone. I acquired some C'age this last year and after reading (on this forum) how much STR415's improve the tone compared to modern tubes, I bought some from a reputable vintage tube dealer on e-bay. You're right, they ain't cheap but like you said neither is a C+. I gotta say they were worth the money, they brought back the tone I remembered. And that's the tone I was trying to dial in the whole time. Should have just bought the vintage Sylvanias from the start. Would have saved me time and money.

Since I replied to codasound a while back I discovered 2 tubes that I wish I'd had mentioned at the time but hadn't acquired yet. I don't have the ear that some people seem to have when it comes to tube rolling but each of these made a noticeable improvement in my C+. Tube #1 that I put in the V1 slot was a Hammond tube made at the Heerlen Holland plant (bugle boy). The 2nd tube was a Brimar CV4024 black box plate. I put that in the PI position (V5). The overall sound is smoother (creamier) and there's a harmonic richness that wasn't there prior. I left the Sylvania long plates in V2 - V4 and STR 415's in the power section. I recently bought some other NOS pre-amp tubes that I'll try in one of my other C+'s. I'm leaving the first one alone I consider it "dialed in at this point".

Buster Leggs said:
codasound said:

HUMBLE CORRECTION : I have an amp at boogie getting recapped and checked out. While I was talking to Mike B. we got on the subject of original C+ tubes. My new C+ from back in the day had the serial # 125XX. Mike informed me the pre-amp tubes were tungsrams on the early pluses. In fact he said Sylvania's were NEVER used in those amps for pre-amp tubes as they were often micro phonic . I don't know why I was so sure they were Sylvania 7025 , it's embarrassing that I put that out there as if it were fact. I apologize to any one that may have used that misinformation in anyway. Guess my memory ain't what it used to be. :oops:

Latest posts

Back