what does Yellow on STR-440 mean?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
just bought a pair of these for my MarkIIb, after i fried (redplated) a tube.

i have to say, whatever the gain difference between the 420 and the 440, i really like the sound of the 440 in my head.
sounds.... meatier.
and more articulate.

the one that failed was a ST-420....

and

can i use the 420 with the 440 for a bit IF i get a failure in the future?

never mind.

:roll:

i found the answer:

I tried to keep that last bit short but now I’m told there are players asking if our different color codes might provide different tonal qualities. This probably arises from the Groove Tubes long-standing promotion that their numbered categories WILL affect power and tone. But before I explain, let me answer the question, “No, any difference between our colors would be hard to notice and not significant.”

Earlier I noted that we reject all tubes that test outside the parameters we consider to be the “sweet spot” of performance. We simply don’t buy them and they become part of the raw material brought in by “the other guys”. (It’s been this way going all the way back to our collaboration with Sylvania in the 1980s to produce the iconic STR 415 that’s still the model for today’s best 6L6s.)

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2012/03/mesa-tube-color-codes-by-randall-smith/

Latest posts

Back