Mesa Boogie STR-440 6L6 RED?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Roll

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed one thing.

My mesa mark 5 has a quad of str-440 red labeled 6L6s. The thing is - I cannot find any red ones on teh internetz. I am located in Europe and all of our distributors claim only yellow ones are available. I've check ebay.com and it seems I can find green, yellow but none red.

Do you really need red? You can put another color mesa labeled tube, as long as they are matched.

i thought the coloring is based on the bias setting of the amp. I would like to avoid tubes running too hot or too cold you know.

All Boogies are fixed bias, with that said, all boogie labeled tubes will go in all boogie amps since they are within the mid range of the bell curve that they are looking for. The color combinations are in an even smaller subset of that mid range bell curve.

So bottom line, if you use any color (match sets of course)boogie labeled tube you are fine.

If your boogie amp is beyond the 5 (I think it's 5) year warrenty period, you can use any branded middle rated tube. You just need to buy from a dealer who knows that you need a tube for a fixed bias amp.

Latest posts

Back