Question regarding C+ tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve10358

Reaction score
Hi guys- been a while since I've posted. I also did several searches but wasn't able to find the answer.

It's been 10 years since I retubed my C+. Yes- that may sound like a lot but I haven't used it all that much. It's starting to get time as the tones are getting flat and nasal as I remember them getting when the tubes were going.

Anyways, I've been running GT 12AX7-M's in V1 & V2. Russian-2 in V3 and JJ ECC83s in the rest. I'm also running STR 454's in the middle and STR 442's in the outside (it's a simulclass head).

What are the recommendations lately?

Thanks!

Steve

If that combination worked for you before,I would suggest you stick with it.Personally,I dont like any of the tubes you have there,but what works for me may not work for you,its all subjective.I have all NOS tubes in my MKIIC+,to find them today would be big $$$.It would suck to spend that kind of money,only to find out it doesnt do it for you.You may get a lot of suggestions as to what tubes others use,but you wont know till you try.Like I said before,if the combination you have worked for you when new,go with it.The only suggestion I would make,is to use anything but those JJ's.They are my least favorite tubes,there is nothing good about them,to me anyway.

I can respect that. Definitely open to suggestions before I spend. I've tried a ton of different tubes (including NOS) and was open to discussion. All I know is I hit the spot where the amp sounds flat and nasal- which when I used to use the amp more, meant time for tubes. Lol

Has it ever been re-capped?Probably time to do it,especially if it isnt used often.Cap life is significantly shortened in an amp that is rarely used.I would do that before I got new tubes.Fresh electro's will really breath new life into it.

Latest posts

Back