think about EL34 for my Roadster...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironjose

Reaction score
hey you guys... been seeing a lot of tubes lately... and im thinking of trying EL34's on my roadster... been reading about JJ E34L do they work on a Roadster?

or which EL34 would you guys recommend?

thanks!!!

I'm not a fan of EL34s in Rectos. They shift the midrange around in a way I'm not a fan of and thin out the bottom end.

I have used the E34L in the past and I didn't dislike it as much as other, more pure EL34s. It doesn't totally gut the amp the way regular EL34s do and retains some of the bottom end depth of 6L6s.

I hear that the JJ KT-77 sounds like a mix of EL34 & 6L6GC.

A lot of guys here like the Tung Sol EL34B. I've heard it described as very "6L6-ish".

I tried SED =C= EL34's & JJ E34L's and liked the E34L better for heavy chugging rhythms and the =C= better for solo/lead tones. I like the SED =C= 6L6GC better than any EL-34 type tube I've tried.

Dom

I like SED =C= myself. They are very clear and good for lead tones. They work the best for my playing. There are also built very well.

ironjose said:
yeah i'm trying to get some rich mids... but i was reading that the E34L run a bit hotter than the normal EL34...

Rich mids is why I stick with 6L6s.

The EL34s have more of an upper midrange focus so they generally get credited for having "more" mids, but I prefer 6L6s because their midrange is much broader and spread more evenly across the frequency spectrum.

In my opinion of course. You can read our opinions all day long yet you'll never know which type of tube you prefer until you try them for yourself.

screamingdaisy said:
Rich mids is why I stick with 6L6s.

The EL34s have more of an upper midrange focus so they generally get credited for having "more" mids, but I prefer 6L6s because their midrange is much broader and spread more evenly across the frequency spectrum.

In my opinion of course. You can read our opinions all day long yet you'll never know which type of tube you prefer until you try them for yourself.

i know... that's what i'm aiming for... trying out sounds!!!

well... yesterday i got my Tung-Sol 12ax7 Reissue and... it blew my mind away (and my ears too)... it got certain thump!!! i love it!!!
now i dont know if i should get the EL34's...

**** it sound it great!!!

I had a similar experience. I was kind of disappointed with the dull response of the stock JJ's preamp tubes. Stuck a single Tung-Sol in the V1 position and the amp woke right up. I was surprised at the improvement.

I swear by Tung-sols RI in the V1. Been using them there for a couple of years now.

I put EL34Ls in my Roadster, I was aiming to get more low end for low tuned metal...don't know if that's what I should have done, but to my ears it sounded much better than the 6l6's it had. I also ended up thinking the cleans were a lot nicer, even though I hardly used them. That amp is gone now but I had the EL34s in right to then end, I really liked them.

I just tried some JJ 6CA7's in the Roadster and I like them better than the JJ E34L's. They are punchy like the E34L's but the low end is much fuller, dare I say "6L6-ish".

I had them biased around 65% (35mA @ 460V B+). The cleans suffer a bit that warm IMO, but the Rhythm & Lead tones are quite pleasing.

I'll have to see how long they keep the =C= 6L6GC's out.

Dom

screamingdaisy said:
I had a similar experience. I was kind of disappointed with the dull response of the stock JJ's preamp tubes. Stuck a single Tung-Sol in the V1 position and the amp woke right up. I was surprised at the improvement.

That's why I still prefer the Russian 2s in my Mesas. Granted, they are suppose to fail in the cathode follower positions, but mine has yet to fail so far...

I've long been a fan of EL34s in a recto series amp. They alter the tone enough that makes it a little less identifiable as a recto. For some that it an advantage, for others it isn't. I just got a roadster and it's only a matter of time before I do it on this one as well.

Back