Best Current EL34's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
So I'm looking for the best current EL34's. Im sure everybody is gonna say Winged C's!!! But If I can find a close substitute I will. I have have SEC =C= 6L6's before and they were the best compared to all others. Second in the 6L6 department was JJ's. But now I have found that EL34's in my Mark V has REALLY opened my amp up and sounds more crunchy and not as ear piercing chimey. The EL34's did hurt the clean channel a bit, but the MKV's cleans are so nice that I'll take a little hit on Ch1 if it makes Ch2 and 3 way better.

Right now I got a quad of old old Electro Harmonix EL34's in there and it sounds pretty dang good, but I can tell the tubes are on their way out. So im looking for some good EL34's for the MKV.

I'm not wanting ANY more high end out of this amp. I want just an all around smooth, punchy, dynamic tone with plenty of mids and lows with sweet highs.

So you guys think the JJ EL34's have just as much low end as the SED's? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Got a TunSol 12ax7 in V1 High Gain JJ in V2 and High Gain Penta Labs in V3 for preamp tubes. Was thinking about experimenting with all the tubes really.

But ONE thing is for sure.... I do like 6L6's... But in the MARK V EL34's are the way to go with my tone. All the modes are much more usable.

What EL34's you guys running in any of your Mesa amps?

I just put an integrated Octet of TungSol 6L6GC-STRs and TungSol EL34Bs in my 2:90.... The TungSol EL34B is AWESOME.
Unlike other EL34s this one has a hint towards 6L6 tonal character....
Nice EL34 comparison/review from TheTubeStore: http://thetubestore.com/el34review.html

Triaxstasy said:
I just put an integrated Octet of TungSol 6L6GC-STRs and TungSol EL34Bs in my 2:90.... The TungSol EL34B is AWESOME.
Unlike other EL34s this one has a hint towards 6L6 tonal character....
Nice EL34 comparison/review from TheTubeStore: http://thetubestore.com/el34review.html

Hey I never though about the new TungSol EL34s. What bias range did you get your EL34's? 33ma? And what amp are you using? These are going in a MKV.

I use mine in the outer (ClassA) slots of a 2:90, together with TungSol 6L6GC-STRs...I had them picked and matched at http://www.tube-town.de , a real good German shop and the owner/tech knows his stuff...I just told him to pick and match them for use in a Mesa 2:90.
Haven´t put a bias probe and meter on it yet.... 8)

Either TubeDepot, TheTubeStore or Doug in the US are surely able to provide the same service....

Yes I'm going to say SED =C=, but also Mesa's STR-450. They are pricy, but I've used them and I thought they sounded the best.

I re-tubed my Marshall's (JCM 800 & 900) a few months ago with TAD EL34B's and was amazed how alive and punching the bottom end became...like triaxstasy said: an EL34 leaning towards a 6L6.

Love 'em!!

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=2829&url_node_name=TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Power_Tubes_SELECTED&language=en

Still waiting for the tubes in my 9005 power-amp to wear out. I'm thinking about putting JJ 6CA7's in it, hoping they'll sound like 6L6's with a bit of EL34 midrange.

I think EH EL34 could be the best sound/price perfomance ! But =C= rocks !

I've been running TungSol EL34B's in my Ace for quite a while, and I'm sold on them. They sound much less grainy than the JJ's...just didn't like the sound I got with them. Popped the TS's back in and I'm happy again!!

Yesterday I did a comparison on some EH EL34's vs Mesa 447 EL34's. The EH's had a little more attack but sounded bland compared to the Mesa 447's (standard Mesa EL34's). The Mesa's had more life, better bass, and a punchier mid range. The EH's still sounded good, but between them two EL34's, I'd go Mesa's all the way.

Now I'm sure the SED EL34's sound the best, but on a regular budget EL34, I'm sticking with Mesa 447 EL34's.

Adambomb said:
Yesterday I did a comparison on some EH EL34's vs Mesa 447 EL34's. The EH's had a little more attack but sounded bland compared to the Mesa 447's (standard Mesa EL34's). The Mesa's had more life, better bass, and a punchier mid range. The EH's still sounded good, but between them two EL34's, I'd go Mesa's all the way.

Now I'm sure the SED EL34's sound the best, but on a regular budget EL34, I'm sticking with Mesa 447 EL34's.

I had just the exact opposite experience with my EH EL34 and Mesa 447's.

On a side note, the only SED tube I find worth the extra cash IF you can find them are their silver box plate 12AX7's. Those things are mind blowing. As for their power tubes, I fail to see the attraction, especially for the price they command.

R_ADKINS80 said:
Adambomb said:

I had just the exact opposite experience with my EH EL34 and Mesa 447's.

On a side note, the only SED tube I find worth the extra cash IF you can find them are their silver box plate 12AX7's. Those things are mind blowing. As for their power tubes, I fail to see the attraction, especially for the price they command.

I tried about every 6L6 years back in my Recto and the SED's made it sound way more 3D alive and very nice bass and top end.

As far as the EL34's.. Not sure but I recorded a fast recording of both the EH and Mesa 447's and that's what my ears heard. The EH's were biased a hair hotter at 33ma per tube, mighta been that. But I still like EH EL34s.

I use =C='s usually, but am about to order some GT EL34M's which have a lovely mid and recessed trebble for my MKV

I agree it does not need more ice pick topend!

I've been told the Mesa 447 is a tested, rebranded Sovtek EL34EH. So if you have EHs that sound different from 447s there's probably a difference in current draw between the two pairs, or one pair is more worn than the other.

fjs1962 said:
I've been told the Mesa 447 is a tested, rebranded Sovtek EL34EH. So if you have EHs that sound different from 447s there's probably a difference in current draw between the two pairs, or one pair is more worn than the other.

So the Mesa 447 EL34's are Electro Harmonix EL34's (same tube)? Yea the EH's have some hours on them and the Mesa's are brand new. So in other words their both made by Sovtek? Was wondering about that.

Chester said:
I use =C='s usually, but am about to order some GT EL34M's which have a lovely mid and recessed trebble for my MKV

I agree it does not need more ice pick topend!

Update - now that I have them broken in, I am VERY pleased with the response and feel of these GTs. The overdrive / break-up is softer and more open than my experience with std Mesa or =C= 34's, and their mid voicing is excellent. Higher gain settings on MKIV / Extreme are much less brittle / ice picky, and Crunch mode is more alive on the settings I use

Worth checking out if you are considering a change

The mesa's are a sovtek wxt+. While made in the same factory as the EH they sound NOTHING alike. Tungsols are made in the same factory too, again nothing alike. If that were the case then there'd be no reason to spend extra on tungsols. I have checked both el34 with my bias probe and they draw the same amount of plate current without touching the bias pot. My EH EL34 have as much bottom end as my mesa 6L6, but alot tighter and more aggressive.

R_ADKINS80 said:
The mesa's are a sovtek wxt+. While made in the same factory as the EH they sound NOTHING alike. Tungsols are made in the same factory too, again nothing alike. If that were the case then there'd be no reason to spend extra on tungsols. I have checked both el34 with my bias probe and they draw the same amount of plate current without touching the bias pot. My EH EL34 have as much bottom end as my mesa 6L6, but alot tighter and more aggressive.

Are you sure the Mesa 447s are wxt+ and not the EH? I could have sworn they told me the tube they use for the 447s are the same tube as the EH, but it's been a couple of years back.

Latest posts

Back