TAD 6L6's or SED Winged C?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarbloke

Reaction score
Just want to see if anyone can compare the 2 for me?

I'm looking at the TAD's mainly due to price, but have read a few good reports online as well - however no one seems to mention how they sound when compared to the Mesa STR 400 or up against the Winged C.

I've read that the Winged C's are great (beyond my budget but I might be swayed!) but that they can also be a little boomy. The STR 440's that I have in my Roadster currently seem ok - nothing special but they do the job.

I'm playing through a Roadster head into a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (Vintage 30's), so I'm guessing that anything too boomy might be a little too much?

Would you recommend the TAD's or Winged C's over the 440's? Or is there not much of a difference?

i modded my roadster and added a bias pot. i can now experiment other tubes and power tubes combination KT88 and KT66. talk to doug from dougs tube or call euro tubes (but euro tubes only sell JJ's).

it's the players preferences. but my experience with it, i wasn't too excited about it. i didn't hear much change almost the same response from top to bottom. after doing a little research i can almost say they are the same tubes but re-labeled from Ruby of course this is just my own findings. i even tried the ruby and they were all sounded the same.

save your money and get the SED winged C you won't regret it.

So you guys feel the Winged C's are really that good eh? :)

I'm a little worried about what I've read concerning their boominess/massive low end - since I only use a 2x12 I'm not sure if that's going to be a good option - whaddya think guys?

It really depends on your rig and playing style. What some call "boomy" I might call "full" or "thick". I'm more of a dynamics player than a chugger, and enjoy the 'sludgy" feel of the Roadster, others may perceive that as muddy and loose.

I've also played and gigged with Mesa STR-440's, JJ 6L6GC's, & TAD 6L6GC STR(?) and my least favorite is the TAD. My next choice after the SED =C= are the Mesa STR-440's.

IMO there is alot of opportunity to tweak in the preamp too with the Roadster. The powertubes are an important part of your tone, but the basic character of the amp is in the preamp. For me it's a 1950's or '60's Mullard 12AX7 in V1 with an NOS RFT 12AX7 in V2, with the SED =C='s. Thick but still cuts through. I like the Matshushita 12AX7 or any good Chinese in V3.

OK, I'm rambling LOL. Bottom line is that the SED =C= is great sounding 6L6GC that is ruggedly built.

Dom

Hey that's cool - ramble away Dom! I'm all ears when it comes to learning how to get the best from my Boogie!

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will just save a little more and grab the Winged C's :) What the heck, I've got a great amp, might as well shove some great tubes in her!

Winged C (SED) can't be beat. I have an 8 year old set with a *lot* of hours on them still going strong!

one more thing, soon as it's out of warranty i suggest you do a bias mod. you will open up a whole new era of monster sound from that beast.

if you need help with the bias mod i'm sure a few of us here can walk you through it. it's a simple process but yet can zap you if you don't be careful. ask a lot of question first before doing this.

thunda1216 said:
Winged C (SED) can't be beat. I have an 8 year old set with a *lot* of hours on them still going strong!

What they said! Went =C=, never going back!

gonzald1 said:
one more thing, soon as it's out of warranty i suggest you do a bias mod. you will open up a whole new era of monster sound from that beast.

if you need help with the bias mod i'm sure a few of us here can walk you through it. it's a simple process but yet can zap you if you don't be careful. ask a lot of question first before doing this.

Eek I'm not sure I'm into the whole soldering and messing with the insides to be honest, I'd probably screw something up or kill myself!!

I might just stick with the tubes for the moment (or until I get a bit braver haha!) :D

I have sextets of all three of those. I am a chugger and rarely play anything but metal....i even play old classic rock and 80s tunes with my own metal style. I would rate those 3 in order from TAD, STR440 and SED. Sorry guys....i just don't care for em.

DOM:

When you did the Bias mod on your Roadster did you use the kit from Mansfield. They are close now but I'm interested in cloning the kit they have for my back up. Do you know how the value of the trim pot and resistor they used? Also, do you know how to soldered it to the little board?

Thx,

Back