Mesa powertube color codes, are they gone?

Talk about tubes and their effect on your tone

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

blackcom
Mark I

Mesa powertube color codes, are they gone?

Post by blackcom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 am

I remember powertubes used to have these color codes for small cold/warm bias variations, Red, Yellow, Green, Gray, Blue, White. I've heard that these color codes only relates to batch numbers..

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2012/03/mesa ... all-smith/

Today I was told my my Mesa suplier that Mesa have stoped using these color codes. Is this true?

MrMarkIII
Dual Recto

Re: Mesa powertube color codes, are they gone?

Post by MrMarkIII » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:31 pm

"... any difference between our colors would be hard to notice and not significant."
- Randall Smith

Heritage Softail
Mark IV

Post by Heritage Softail » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:33 am

I bought a pair of 6L6's two weeks ago at guitar center. The box had the color code printed on it. The skater working there had no idea what I was talking about but was able to say epic dude about three times.
Mesa MK IIC, DSL100, Dr Z Maz 38 NR, Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet purple mod, 5153, Rectoverb S2

JP6, LP, SG, Anderson Pro-Am, Suhr, PRS, Strat, Tele, assorted victims of pentatonic hacking.

Gone - MKV, Single Rectifier, Rivera K-Tre

18 year chip.

knotts
Donating Member

Post by knotts » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Heritage Softail wrote:I bought a pair of 6L6's two weeks ago at guitar center. The box had the color code printed on it. The skater working there had no idea what I was talking about but was able to say epic dude about three times.
Were the boxes dusty like the ones I got? I bet they've been there for a while so that's why it still had the color codes.

I love the guys at GC. One of them tried to convince me that a cable made up 50% of my sound, so I guess the guitar and amp only make up the other 50%.
Knotts
Southpaw
Roadster
Lonestar Classic
Gibson LP Traditional / Am Strats

thehiredgun
Bottle Rocket

Post by thehiredgun » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 am

knotts wrote:
Heritage Softail wrote:I bought a pair of 6L6's two weeks ago at guitar center. The box had the color code printed on it. The skater working there had no idea what I was talking about but was able to say epic dude about three times.
Were the boxes dusty like the ones I got? I bet they've been there for a while so that's why it still had the color codes.

I love the guys at GC. One of them tried to convince me that a cable made up 50% of my sound, so I guess the guitar and amp only make up the other 50%.
Epic.
I think they've still got the color thing going on but really they're just there to match across a quad I think. I know the 'reds' are supposed to clip sooner as opposed to the 'blues' but yeah, I just run whatever color matched quad I can get.

Kenny

r_cod_81
Mark II

Post by r_cod_81 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am

Dude, sweet! :roll:

We don't have Guitar Center (sic :p ) in the UK but I really think I need to visit one next time I'm in the US just to appreciate what you guys have to deal with: http://www.jyuenger.com/?p=6564. "God help me, I went to Guitar Center..."
Richard Codling, Edinburgh/Newcastle, UK

Guitars: Jackson, Charvel, Dean
Amp rack: Studio Preamp, Behringer PEQ2200, Marshall 8008, 2x12 cabinet
Pedal board: Wah, Tuner, MXR (Dist+, Flanger), E-H chorus, Boss Delay

www.facebook.com/LiveBurial