Tube choices for DC2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatnik

Reaction score
hi there if i want to replace the power tubes on my DC2 do i just try any el84 or do i need particular brands? i was tempted to try JJ's will they work ok? or nos tubes how do i know which will be compatible? new tube amps appreciate any help

The short answer is go and get a pair of Mesa EL84 tubes. Mesa amps are fixed bias and require tubes the fall within the "range" as the amps can not be adjusted to suit the tubes.

Otherwise if you know what you want most of the tube sellers can sell you a set matched to Mesa spec if ou ask. the JJs are good and most around here would consider them as an upgrade in tone compared to the current Mesa items.

J.J said:
The short answer is go and get a pair of Mesa EL84 tubes. Mesa amps are fixed bias and require tubes the fall within the "range" as the amps can not be adjusted to suit the tubes.

Otherwise if you know what you want most of the tube sellers can sell you a set matched to Mesa spec if ou ask. the JJs are good and most around here would consider them as an upgrade in tone compared to the current Mesa items.

thanks for your response so u would advise contacting the tube vendor and asking them for a set of tubes matched to mesa spec?

Having re-read you initial post, I'd recommend you get the Mesa tubes as the easiest and safest bet. You can't go wrong.

I'm not familiar with the DC2, but I have heard that some of the older El84 based Mesa amps are very hard on the power tubes. Mesa tubes and the JJs will take the punishment, but there are others that won't which can result in not just burnt out tubes, but damage to your amp.

thanks mate i spoke to the shop im gonna get my tubes from and their gonna sort me a set of jj's in the right current draw for mesa amps so all sorted thanks again

+1 on the Mesa tubes....i had JJ's in mine when I got it and have since switched over to the Mesa ones. The Mesa power tubes just have a different feel to them for me. When I get the bass turned up a bit it's especially noticeable. Just more of what works for me... :mrgreen:

Back