Tubes - Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Although I know tubes are quite unpredictable, I was wondering, considering I have a pretty big gig coming up in 7-8 weeks, if I should change (at least for the show) my powertubes. I've played with my Roadster head for about a year now, for a huge maximum of 8 hours per week, I always let the tubes warm up before playing and cool down before turning it off. I just wanna avoid any problem so that's why I'm asking. I've encountered some feedback issues recently, but turning the bass down a bit resolved the problem, so, I don't really know if it's a tube issue or not.

Thanks a lot for your input!

If you can't take a spare amp to a "big" gig than the minimum should be spare tubes and fuses. I would get the Mesa output tubes, a couple 12AX7's and some 4 amp slo blow fuses as a crash kit.

- Pat.

Thanks! I have all of those, what I wanna avoid is a tube dying while I play!... So I'm wondering if it would be safer to keep my actual tubes that have done the job well so far than puting new tubes that may have factory issue, or safer with brand new tubes due to the fact they won't get out of breath during my gig.

:?

I've had more issues with fresh tubes failing than with tubes that I've been using for awhile.

That said, 7-8 weeks is plenty of time for a fresh set of tubes to settle in. Any issues i've had with new tubes usually present themselves within minutes/hours.

screamingdaisy said:
I've had more issues with fresh tubes failing than with tubes that I've been using for awhile.

That said, 7-8 weeks is plenty of time for a fresh set of tubes to settle in. Any issues i've had with new tubes usually present themselves within minutes/hours.
+1. Anytime I experienced a tube failure it was within the first week or so.

Did you buy Mesa tubes?

Dom

Yeah... I have 4 Ruby's waiting but considering putting non-Mesa tubes in the amp may void the warranty, I bought Mesa tubes last week and I'll put those in for now.

I will try the Ruby's soon enough though, my Single Recto was a complete other beast once all the tubes changed (preamp and powertubes). I'll start with the powertubes and I'll see, puting a Tung sol in V1 hasn't brought the hype it did in my Single Recto, so it looks like I won't change any preamp tube. Anyway, I didn't like the sound of my Single Recto with stock tubes while I do with my Roadster, so.

Thanks guys!

Back