TA-15 V2 higher gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman63

Reaction score
Hello all,
What are some suggestions for a higher gain 12ax7 that I could put in V2 in my TA-15? Right now I'm running all stock Mesa tubes. Thanks for any info.

If you really want that Mesa scorching gain with feedback and all, you're gonna have to cook those tubes with a pedal in front of the amp. Just putting a high gain 12AX7 in V2 will not do it. I've found though that having a pedal in front of the amp with a high gain gives me more of that Mesa tone I love than just a pedal in front of the amp.

I've had a lot of success ordering from The Tube Depot, The Tube Store, and Doug's tubes. All three places give you the option of ordering a high gain 12AX7 for most of the 12AX7's they sell.

I've got a high gain Genalex Gold Lion in V2, and it sounds great. But it should at $45 a pop!

The only other high gain brand I've tried has been a JJ 12AX7, and I didn't care for it.

yeah, that's what I've been doing all along since I bought the amp a few years ago; hitting the front with an od on channel 2/H1 if I need higher gain. I was asking about the tube because I was reading somewhere on this forum; I think, where it was suggested putting a higher gain tube in V2 on the TA. I pm'd the guy because I was curious, but never got a response. I've never heard of a 12ax7 that can make that drastic of a difference gain wise. What did the Gold Lion do for yours talltxguy? More of a change tonally?

Back