Tube Cocktail for You

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante

Reaction score
The following tube recipe is doing wonders in my DC-5b combo, I thought it might help some other folks in here.

So, here's the cocktail:
V1: JAN GE 5751 (V1 for Rhythm and for Lead)
V2: Mullard Reissue 12AX7 Hi-Gain (Lead Gain)
V3: Mullard Reissue 12AX7 (Lead Gain, Loop Return)
V4: Mullard Reissue 12AX7 (Rhythm Gain)
V5: JAN 12AT7WTC balanced Black (Reverb Driver)
V6: JJ ECC803S Balanced (Phase Inverter)

My cleans are chimey with a warm bottom, my gains are creamy smooth and brutally heavy when the chunka chunkas come around. I'm in Boogie Wonderland.

I am refurbishing/servicing a DC-5b right now, can't wait to hear it. I mostly play rock, pop and country styles and want the clean channel to be pretty clean. I am more into a singing tone for lead than all out gain so trying to back off the preamp a bit.

I sussed out a similar approach, the current tubes appear to be factory original Chinese Mesa and tired.

V1 GE 5 star triple mica 5751, VERY quiet beautiful sounding tube. I have 3 of them, best of the 5751s I've used.
V2 Either Tesla ECC803s gold pin, vintage Amperex Bugle Boy ECC83 or some other baddass tube.
V3 12AX7/ECC83 - I have some nice vintage stock but probably a GE short gray plate, those are reliably excellent.
V4 Will try another 5751 here to totally tame the clean channel.
V5 Sylvania triple mica 12AT7 (Sylvania tubes tend to be pretty high gain compared to other brands).
V6 GE 5 star triple mica 12at7 with perfectly matched triodes (just snagged off ebay from reputable seller!).

AND...

A Matched pair of Sylvania 6L6GC with double 0 getters and tall construction that test significantly better than new (just snagged from a different reputable ebay seller!!).

PLUS...

Replacing the V90 with my all time favorite guitar speaker - JBL G125-8.

Should sound pretty OK I'm thinkin'. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The GE 5751s are some of my favorites also. I have a few of the five-star, triple-mica 5751, and a couple of JAN GE 5751, all very nice. :D

Back