JJ 12ax7s Anyone getting a honky tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Reaction score
I recently put a JJ ecc83s in my V1 slot of my mark V and regular JJ ecc83s in the remaining slots. Its hard to describe but it seems like im getting some honk in the mids that is clouding the crunch factor of the head. Has anyone noticed this with the Mark V?

Not with the Mark V, but I did tube roll JJs in my Marshall and I also found I wasn't really satisfied with the midrange content.

I strongly dislike JJ 12AX7/ECC83s - possibly the most of any 12AX7. They sound overly middly, both muddy and harsh at the same time. Nasal or honky also would describe it.

purpledc said:
mids that is clouding

Jackie said:
I also found I wasn't really satisfied with the midrange content.

That pretty much nails it. Hazy and undefined in the wrong places. Works ok as a balanced phase inverter or reverb driver, but pretty much sucks for V1 or Lead Channel positions. I find JJ's 12AX7's to be murky in the mids and the high rolloff to be equally dissatisfying compared to pretty much any Sovtek tube that has equally murky mids, but likely has great top end and decent harmonic content.

ok so.. what does actually suit the amp and bring out it's real character and in which slots? cause, it's a JJ 12 AX7 what mesa's been currently using as their primary 12AX7 in all slots.

I kinda noticed that my mark 5 does really have some of these aspects of honkyness and harshness, but i still thought that thanks to the JJ tube it's not as bad as it could be with lets say an EH 12AX7 which really is a harsher/more brittle sounding preamp tube. From my experience a JJ 12 AX7 will sound a tad darker, which is the opposite of 'bright' or brittle or?

for instance i tried changing the V1 for a tung sol.. it was a sharper and more brittle than the original one.. I've had a raytheon 12AX7 in V1, it was a lot better but did not last long (must have had a flaw of some kind cause it blew inside after like 1 week)

K-Roll said:
ok so.. what does actually suit the amp and bring out it's real character and in which slots? cause, it's a JJ 12 AX7 what mesa's been currently using as their primary 12AX7 in all slots.

I kinda noticed that my mark 5 does really have some of these aspects of honkyness and harshness, but i still thought that thanks to the JJ tube it's not as bad as it could be with lets say an EH 12AX7 which really is a harsher/more brittle sounding preamp tube. From my experience a JJ 12 AX7 will sound a tad darker, which is the opposite of 'bright' or brittle or?

for instance i tried changing the V1 for a tung sol.. it was a sharper and more brittle than the original one.. I've had a raytheon 12AX7 in V1, it was a lot better but did not last long (must have had a flaw of some kind cause it blew inside after like 1 week)

that actually doesnt surprise me. i blew 2 tung sols in the v1 slot.

Back