could ruby tubes be my problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
i just took delivery of a brand new genz benz black pearl 30 combo. sounds great, but 2 hours or so in to playing it's almost like my strat becomes an antenna w/this amp. i get "liveable" buzz on my 2 and 4 positions, but when i go to 1,3, or 5...forget it- annoying buzz. btw- my gain is set relatively low, just to the point of light breakup when i dig in. if there's one thing i've learned over the years with tube amps, it's that the problem is most likely due to a faulty tube...at least i hope. anyone know which tube(s) are most likely to be causing this issue? i.e.- power tube? preamp tube? PI?

Not likely.Do you have another guitar you can try,preferably with humbuckers?It is most likely those single coils.The "2 and 4" positions are "out of phase" and cancel the hum to some degree.The buzz you here in these positions could be associated with the tubes or the high gain structure of the circuit,may or may not be curable with different tubes,but if it is bearable,I wouldnt recomend trying new tubes,it could get expensive trying to find tubes that are quieter.I have done re-sheilding and re-wiring the ground scheme on strats that eliminates a lot of the annoying single coil buzz associated with them.The stock sheilding in strats is not the best.The mod I do wont completely eliminate it,but greatly reduces it.

stokes said:
Not likely.Do you have another guitar you can try,preferably with humbuckers?It is most likely those single coils.The "2 and 4" positions are "out of phase" and cancel the hum to some degree.The buzz you here in these positions could be associated with the tubes or the high gain structure of the circuit,may or may not be curable with different tubes,but if it is bearable,I wouldnt recomend trying new tubes,it could get expensive trying to find tubes that are quieter.I have done re-sheilding and re-wiring the ground scheme on strats that eliminates a lot of the annoying single coil buzz associated with them.The stock sheilding in strats is not the best.The mod I do wont completely eliminate it,but greatly reduces it.

thanks for the response but i've since found the problem to be a grounding issue with a particular outlet. problem solved.

Latest posts

Back