Got a mark V. What power tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Reaction score
Ok, I did a search but came up with not anything specific to my question. I know that mesa says to use mesa power tubes. I know it will void the warranty (that I dont have) if you dont. I know that mesa only uses one type of 6l6 from sovtek, tests and grades them for their fixed bias amps. So does this mean I cant use say 6l6wxt+ or JJ 6l6's without doing a bias mod? I dont think my amp sounds bad with the tubes it has but Ive always liked the 6l6wxt+ tubes. I just dont want to fry anything. And also Ive been looking at Mesa tubes and they seem to be graded. But when I look at websites they dont have a drop down menu to specify which grade you need. How do I order tubes for my specific amp? Some websites suggest that Mesa sets their bias so cold that almost any and all 6l6 tubes will be in the green zone when put into one of their amps. But Ive learned the hard way not to listen to the people who make their money selling tubes. What say ye?

You don't need to just use Mesa tubes. Any "middle rated" tube will do. For example Groove Tubes rates their tubes on a scale from 1 - 10. A tube from them rated at 4 - 6 will do. Also if you purchase your tubes from a reputable dealer and tell them that you are getting tubes for a fixed bias Mesa amp they will select a tube rated for you. I get my tubes from tubedepot.com and have been very happy, especially with SED=C= tubes.

Also I'm sure the V (like the IV and III before) can take a combination of other tubes as well. My Mark IV right now has a combo of 6L6 and EL34's. Just check the manual for which tubes can be placed in which sockets and you'll be fine.

Also on the Mesa site I know that you cannot select a color rated one for your perference, but you can either add a comment when buying or call them. They are extremely helpful.

Hope this helps.

very cool. Thanks for the info. I actually just lucked out. I like JJ's but I want to keep them rated like you said. I looked on amazon and got Groove tubes, 6l6- S matched quad for $61 and that included 2 day shipping. Pretty darn good deal. Must be on clearance and they are sold by amazon themselves, not a dealer. I might just pick up another quad at that price.

SED =C= 6L6s are very reliable and sound great, if you can, get those, I think you won't be disappointed (I wasn't :mrgreen: )

Back