tung sol reissue or gold pin for triaxis?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I currently have mesa 12ax7/str 420 tubes in my triaxis/simul 2:90. I want to achieve dark super tight chunky gain for metal rhythm, especially with lead 2 green and yellow modes. Would Tungsol tubes help? Which kind? reissue or gold pin? Do you recommend them also for clean mode positions? Do they break late? I need to keep my rhythm green mode as clean as possible. Have you tried Tung Sols with a Triaxis? In which positions would they work well for what I want and what tubes would be good complement to keep rhythm modes clean and lead 1 modes with some nice light to medium gain?

Thats probably a lot, huh? I appreciate all your help.

Just my opinion, but I think gold pin = snake oil.

I have 2 TungSols in my 2:90 and it helped gain some openness and clarity.

I will try a TungSol in V1 shortly, hopefully to clear Lead 1 up a little.

I have not tried TungSols in my Mesa rig yet but in my Marshall, they sounded clear, open, but were a little too bright (but then again Marshalls are bright to begin with). I think it's a good tube for clearing things up.

I'd try JJs if you want dark.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I like dark sounds better than bright ones. Would JJ's deliver as much gain as Mesa tubes? I definitely want something for high gain with slightly scooped mids and good low end for tight metal rhythm. Mesa tubes are not bad but they have a quality that is bothering me. Maybe they are a little too pointy, but then again, I am happy with my solo lead sounds. I will try the JJ's and Tung Sols before I think about other solutions (like a good eq), maybe in the end what the Triaxis is lacking is the control you have over the eq with a mark head.

Right now the standard Mesa 12AX7 IS the JJ ECC83S. Other than that JJs are pretty known to be a tad on the compressed/gainy side so I guess so yeah.

BTW another good current production tube I can suggest is EH (Electro Harmonix). I have not tried them in my Mesa yet but they haven't failed me so far. I think they have a nice balance of warmth, clarity and lows.

If you are going to consider an external EQ, I can recommend the MXR 10-band EQ. Great unit. Also, I think I read somewhere that Mesa recommends using a Presonus EQ3B for a Mark head with no EQ. I checked the unit out and it looks like a great, heavily adjustable EQ unit.

Back