what NOS 5U4GB rectifier tube for good sag?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott from _actual time_

Reaction score
i'm looking to try some NOS rectifier tubes in my Mark V. the stock Mesa 5U4GB
has nice sag, but i would like more if i can get it. i don't want anything stiff-sounding.

i've read people digging the NOS Tung-Sol 5U4GB, but i can't find anyone comparing some of the different NOS brands of 5U4GB--Tung-Sol, RCA, Sylvania, etc--especially in terms of sag.

anyone got any input? thanks.

You are not going to get any dramatic increase in sag between rectifiers of the same type.Any difference is going to be so subtle,you may not even notice.I am not familiar with the MKV,but I would have to say you couldnt use,say,a 5V4,which would give a more noticeable effect in sag compared to a 5U4 in a given circuit.But I wouldnt recomend putting a 5V4 in that amp.

I believe you can not use anything with "more sag". To get a real noticeable change you would need a 5Y3 rectifier which would prob blow as soon as you flipped out of standby in a 4 X 6L6GC amp.

The GZ34 has the least sag of the rectifier tubes.

I thought that the 5V5 had more sag then the GZ34 but less than the 5U4GB?

Dom

The 5U4 is slightly "stiffer" than the 5V4,or in other words has less sag than a 5U4.The 5AR4 or GZ34 (same tube) is the stiffest,then the 5U4 then 5V4 then 5Y3.You may be able to use the 5V4 in one of the modes available in the MKV,but certainly not with all 4 6L6's working.Like I said,I'm not familiar with the MKV so I dont know what power options are available.

Latest posts

Back