Ip and Gm values for mesa El34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboten

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have a mesa boogie mark v and i want to change the power tubes to El34, since i've always been a fan of british sounding amps. I know you can order mesa spec'd tubes from online stores, but i already have a quartet of JJ EL34 at home, so my question is: What should the Gm and Ip values of the tubes be? What are the Gm/Ip values of a mesa boogie EL34, and by how much can the values be off and still function properly? If anyone here have used JJ EL34 for a mesa amp it would be great to know what Gm/Ip values yours had.

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered i million times already, but it would be awesome if you guys could help me out here!

I am not sure of the values off the top of my head, but if you buy your tubes from a dealer like Valvequeen.com or Dougstubes.com, they can get you tubes in the proper range if you tell them what amp they will be going into.

Yeah i know, but i want to know the values of the JJ EL34 they send you so i know whether or not it's safe so try the quartet i already have at home.

The first important thing is that the tubes do not exceed their rated maximum plate dissipation at idle, general rule is to stay below 70% of their maximum plate dissipation at idle current to avoid "red-plating" the tubes while playing.

I know that you asked about certian values, but the bottom line is Cathode Current, at your amp's B+ (plate) and bias voltage.

IMO Every tube amp owner who wishes to experiment with their power tubes needs to own a quality bias probe, one that will give you both cathode current and plate voltage. Here is an an example of one that simply plugs into your DMM:
http://www.amp-head.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=70

If you are a handy DIY'er you can make this same thing for quite less $$. There is a lot of info on the net.

If you are not 100% sure of your electronic DIY/soldering abilities it's best to just purchase one. If you do something wrong with the DIY construction you can damage the amp, or worse, expose yourself to LETHAL voltage.

Hope this helps,

Dom

Back