noisy amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_james

Reaction score
I I have a 4 moth old Mark V that has a distint hiss/hum/buzz in all modes of channel two whenever the gain is above 12 oclock or the volumn is above 11 oclock. To a lesser degree I have the same thing happening in channel. I only noticed this about a month ago although I have to say that I normally don't have the channel volumn or the main output set above 11 oclock. Is this normal and if not suggestions would be helpful?

Hiss/hum/buzz could be 3 different symptoms.Is it normal?Could be.Tubes are noisy to a certain degree.When you start turning up the gain noises that would not be noticeable in a lower gain,like a Fender type amp,become prominent.Pull V1 and if the noise goes away,it could be a noisy tube in that position that gets amplified by each stage along the way till it becomes a nuisance.A quieter tube would be the answer.But it is possible that it is a quiet tube and other tubes might be worse.If it is not unbearable,I wouldnt worry about it.No tube is "dead quiet" and a certain amount of noise is normal and increased by the high gain nature of the circuit.

Latest posts

Back