Ordered tubes from UK - no VAT?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to put this so I stuck it here.
Anyway, I don't mind a 17.5% discount, but somethings stinks here.

I ordered 2 matched quads of =C= 6L6s for my Mesa from HotRoxUK.com and I noticed something peculiar when I checked my basket.

All the prices on that site are EXCLUDING VAT. Less than a week ago, I put the 2 matched quads in my basket just to see if they haven't gone up in price (again). They didn't. The VAT was included in the final price. The price including shipping and VAT was 313€ for 2 quads.

Now that I finally ordered them, the price was still excluding VAT and including shipping, so around 260€, and it stayed ex. VAT all the way up to PayPal payment and it didn't appear anyway. They still don't charge VAT if you go and add ANYTHING to the basket (screenshot below), it just says VAT: 0.00€
file.php

(I put in EL34s just to illustrate that it doesn't matter what you put in the basket)

Any idea what gives? I have already paid for the tubes and they are on the way but I don't want to pay more after I recieve because of a potential website glitch or something.

Where are you?

If you're outside the UK (which the website calculator will know if you entered your shipping address) I'm pretty sure you don't pay VAT (currently 20% not 17.5%), but you may have to pay the equivalent purchase tax for wherever you are, which may be a different rate.

That's the way it works in the UK if you buy something from elsewhere - you don't pay the tax at source, but they add on the VAT when it gets here. (As well as import tax and a handling charge :mad:.)

I am outside the UK but inside the EU. I think I will have to pay our purchase tax like you said (also 20%) because I remember ordering 5xTungSol 12AX7 from Watford Valves about a year ago and they also charged me with about 60€ while I had to pay around 75€ for the package when it got here.

Should charge you VAT but need to be a bit more transparent on there online form by the looks of things. Could be perceived at sneaky! (Although they don't get to keep the tax)

As per UK customs:

How do you charge VAT to someone in another EU country?

If you sell goods or services to someone who isn't VAT registered in another EU country, you must charge VAT in the normal way - just as you would for a UK customer.

WTF - now they charge VAT normally if you aren't logged in. I noticed that if I log in, I DON'T get charged VAT.

(click to view larger)

(click to view larger)

Whatever. I'll see what happens when they arrive. :?

Back