Will 5751 clean up channel 1 on Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TremoJem

Reaction score
O.K., so I have a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 and a JAN Philips 12AT7 in V6.

Sounds great.

Here is my question.

What happens if I use 5751s in V1?

Or instead or a better question to ask is: what do I use and where to really CLEAN up channel one.

I know this will affect the entire amp, but I recently purchased a BBP-AT (BB Preamp) and am considering a couple other options for gain/sustain boosting or enhancing when I use either the Clean channel 1 or Gain channel 2.

Please be specific with your experiences and opinions.

I know some of you will say...just sell them and switch to a LoneStar etc.

And, maybe that is correct. But I am curious what other tube changes could clean up the amp a little more and then I would be content.

In all, maybe selling them and changing amps is or is not the right choice, but for now I am just curious what you all think the desired outcome of a cleaner channel one requires of me and my tweaking efforts with tubes etc.

First, remember that this is actually a one-channel amp with a fancy control system: all the tubes are in use in all modes on both channels all the time. (Except for V4 which is the FX loop tube, if you have that assigned to one channel but not the other). So you can't just change the clean mode without affecting the others.

A 5751 will reduce the gain *slightly*. It probably won't make that much difference in V1 though since only half the tube is used. It would make more of a difference in V2 or V3. If you want more effect, 12AT7s in V5 and V6 help, and/or you could try a 12AY7 in V1. The 12AY7 has a lot less gain than a 12AX7 and a brighter/clearer tone. I found it made the distortion modes sound less good though, so it may be a compromise. AT7s in V5/6 didn't seem to do that as much.

Don't try either a 12AT7 or a 12AY7 in V3 or V4 - those are cathode-follower positions and you may blow the tubes since they aren't rated for enough voltage for that. The 5751 has the same rating as the 12AX7 so you can try it in any position.

Can the BB preamp be used in the effects loop bypassing the amps preamp? Switching the fx loop in and out could give you a whole new sound. You may need an A/B pedal for the input though. Clumsy for in a song, but ok between them. Just an idea.

That is some really interesting stuff.

I did not realize V2 and V3 made more of an impact, although it makes sense now that you point it out.

Thanks for the valuable information.

I will try what you suggested and as a very last resort I can try the 12AY7 in V1.

I do see now how channel 2 in Modern Mode will really be affected.

I think I really need to get my chops back as I set that channel to max on the gain.

Playing better will make up for some of the gain loss and the BB may pick up the rest.

Then again maybe a Lonestar or other Mesa might be a better choice.

I just hate to give up the twins, and really hate how as we grow and change, so does our desire for different tones.

It is as if I need about five or six Mesa amps to cover all the tones I want to play with.

Geez, time to sell the house...hmmm, well maybe not, instead I will just have to settle.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back