Mesa tube prices in Australia

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuenu

Reaction score
I've been advised by an experienced Mesa tech in Australia at the importer's shop to stick with Mesa tubes for my 3ch DR to avoid problems that I have had and to keep my amp running the best for the longest time.

I realize we pay extra down here. However I found this;

6L6 STR-440
USD$42 per pair on the Mesa Website
AUD$116 per pair on the Australian Mesa importer's Website

EL34 STR-447
USD$47 per pair on the Mesa Website
AUD$134 per pair on the Australian Mesa importer's Website

12AX7
USD$17.50 each on the Mesa Website
AUD$44 each on the Australian Mesa importer's Website

I realize that the USD$ has dipped against the AUD$ in recent times. The AUD$ is worth around USD$1.05 at the moment. It's been around this value for a while now though.
I also note that Mesa USA will not ship outside USA.

This makes it hard for me to take the tech's advice and use genuine Mesa tubes. Are these local prices reasonable?

What is the reason for such a massive price differential on such a small identical item? Maybe I have some facts wrong somewhere?

BTW, I bought all my guitars in USA or Canada. Two while traveling (new), one online (used). 3 friends have bought around 6 guitars from USA between them.

I would love to buy local and would pay a bit or a premium to do so. However I will avoid paying a large premium if there is a way around it. If I were rich I wouldn't bother I guess.

First I went to Mesa's site.
Two pairs of STR-440s would cost me $102.67.
That includes shipping of $11.95 and CA sales tax of $6.72.

Then I went to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) website.

The Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box
would hold two pairs, no more.
(11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2")
+Insurance: $4.50/($200 value)

Total: $50.00 at the Post Office, $47.73 on line price.

So, even if I buy the tubes, have them shipped to me, then ship them to you, the cheapest is $102.67 plus $47.73 = $150.40, plus about a month wait time for you. Add to that whatever you pay in Customs Fees, taxes, etc.

That's also if I don't charge for my time. Of course, the retailers have much more overhead.

Thanks for the calcs. That represents around an $80 saving for a quartet of 6L6s. If I got 4 x 6L6, 4 x EL34 and 5 x 12AX7 the savings would be magnified I guess. Are you offereing to do it for me or just posing the scenario to illustrate the extra costs involved?

I could see if a cousin in Texas could do it for me once I have sold my spare tubes that the Mesa tech said I should get rid of (4 x SED 6L6, 4 x SED EL34 + 5 x various non-Mesa 12AX7). These were bought onlne in USA from Tube Depot at massive savings for me. I've hardly used the EL34s or 12AX7s and the 6L6s are unused.

I had some problems with non-Mesa 12AX7s not handling some positions, causing recurring reliability problems. The tech also said using non Mesa power tubes may lead to premature problems. Due to the hassles and headaches I have had with non-Mesa tubes, I have decided to just go back to Mesa tubes. I like to play around with tone (loved what the EL34s did), but I am a bit of a plug and play type person. I trust the tech as he seemed very knowledgable and deals with Mesa amps all the time.

i don't know how you feel about ebay, but check these out. they all ship worldwide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230668981056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2655wt_1219

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290606260380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1943wt_1219

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390344128560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_986

scott

I just started to roll...in it for about four months now.

Did not realize anyone out there had a problem using non-Mesa tubes that are designed for the positions they are intended for.

I mean as long as specs match up.

Well I guess there is risk in everything...even using Mesa tubes right, after all they are re-branded.

Let me know if anyone else out there has experienced problems using non-Mesa tubes with matching specs.

=C= tubes should rock and so should Tung-Sol etc.

Sorry Mate that you are having problems and I hope I don't have any...later.

Mesa tubes are the safest bet if you are not sure about what you are doing and they do generally sound very good in Mesa amps. I assume you have been talking the guys at Pro audio and they really do know what they are doing.

I have had an issue with some SED =C= 6L6 tubes in my ED. Even though the tubes are matched to the Mesa spec, my Electra dyne runs the outside pair very hot and I have found that the Mesa scale matching can deviate significantly as you move the operating point up. The =C= tubes can end up running to hot and I have had to request extra cold tubes to make things work. I have a strong background in electronics, so its not an unsolvable problem for me, but it could be real trouble for others. For me the =C= tubes are worth it, I just wouldn't bother otherwise.

J.J said:
I have had an issue with some SED =C= 6L6 tubes in my ED. Even though the tubes are matched to the Mesa spec, my Electra dyne runs the outside pair very hot and I have found that the Mesa scale matching can deviate significantly as you move the operating point up. The =C= tubes can end up running to hot and I have had to request extra cold tubes to make things work. I have a strong background in electronics, so its not an unsolvable problem for me, but it could be real trouble for others. For me the =C= tubes are worth it, I just wouldn't bother otherwise.
I'm not educated in the field, but the description of the potential power tube problem you gave reminds me vaguely of some stuff the tech told me. I had all my SED tubes tested and measured by the tech and he gave me the results for every tube. If I knew enough I could decide if the tubes would be well matched to the amp. To be honest I couldn't be bothered doing the research. I defer to the tech's knowledge and experience. The SED EL34s sounded really good to me, but reliability wins out. Amp working well after all my Mesa tubes whacked back in so I am happy. I plan to sell my SEDs and get Mesa EL34s.

I've heard conflicting things from Service dept at Pro Audio over the years re original parts and no-original parts, tubes included.
But to be fair I'd fully expect them to recommend OEM parts - the same as a Holden dealer would when servicing your Commodore.

Re pricing, I've traded words with John (service, Pro Audio) before regarding me buying offshore Mark amps and not getting them through Pro Audio. My reply was if U guys can supply them at comparable prices, I'll buy locally in the wink of an eye.

I look local, then look offshore, especially if I feel I'm being bent-over on price. The trade-off is warranty and service. It's my risk I know.

If I were in your shoes I'd be asking the cousin, but also there's some really great guys here who would likely help out.
Good luck, Dave

PS, FWIW, I'm not so convinced on the whole "use only Mesa tubes" idea. Even the original Marks were designed on Sylvania 6L6's...

I am looking at ordering some pre amp tubes for my 3 ch DR from here http://www.amplifiedparts.com. They do ship internationally and the prices seem good. I have been told that Mesa tubes are just re branded tubes from other manufactures (eg the 12AX7 pre amp tubes are re branded JJ tubes and these are A LOT cheaper from this web site than from Mesa).

I am interested to know what issues you were having with the amp as mine has been playing up too and would like to know if I have a similar issue to you.

Every 12 - 20 hours of use the volume would drop 80% and the gain would lose all its bite. It sounded like a dying fly instead of a beast. It came down to preamp tubes in V4 & V5 being non genuine and not suitable. Back to all Mesa tubes and OK at the moment.

McBarry said:
I've heard conflicting things from Service dept at Pro Audio over the years re original parts and no-original parts, tubes included.
But to be fair I'd fully expect them to recommend OEM parts - the same as a Holden dealer would when servicing your Commodore.

Re pricing, I've traded words with John (service, Pro Audio) before regarding me buying offshore Mark amps and not getting them through Pro Audio. My reply was if U guys can supply them at comparable prices, I'll buy locally in the wink of an eye.

I look local, then look offshore, especially if I feel I'm being bent-over on price. The trade-off is warranty and service. It's my risk I know.

If I were in your shoes I'd be asking the cousin, but also there's some really great guys here who would likely help out.
Good luck, Dave

PS, FWIW, I'm not so convinced on the whole "use only Mesa tubes" idea. Even the original Marks were designed on Sylvania 6L6's...

I agree. It has been said a thousand times, but I would buy locally too if the prices were in the same universe here.

**** those SED EL34s made my amp sound good. Maybe I will use Mesa 12AX7s and keep the SED power tubes? But then the tech at Pro Audio said I could do damage this way. I'm not techy enough to know any better.

enuenu said:
McBarry said:

Good luck, Dave

I agree. It has been said a thousand times, but I would buy locally too if the prices were in the same universe here.

**** those SED EL34s made my amp sound good. Maybe I will use Mesa 12AX7s and keep the SED power tubes? But then the tech at Pro Audio said I could do damage this way. I'm not techy enough to know any better.

As long as you buy the SED from a good source they will get a set to work with your bias. It's not a difficult thing for them to do.

scott

zodiac272 said:
enuenu said:
McBarry said:

As long as you buy the SED from a good source they will get a set to work with your bias. It's not a difficult thing for them to do.

scott

Thanks Scott. I actually had the SED 6L6 & SED EL34 power tubes tested on an AVO V.C.M. 163 Tube Tester after I bought them and have values for plate current & mutual conductance. How would I find out if these values are in the range that Mesa would specify for my DR?

enuenu said:
Every 12 - 20 hours of use the volume would drop 80% and the gain would lose all its bite. It sounded like a dying fly instead of a beast. It came down to preamp tubes in V4 & V5 being non genuine and not suitable. Back to all Mesa tubes and OK at the moment.

Ok, exactly the same issue I am having. I suspected a dud preamp tube or 2 so I am looking at replacing these and hopefuly the problem will be fixed. I have a show tonight so I hope it can make it through!!

I'm not sure what range mA you want for a DR. I know for my Mark series, it's happy in the mid/high 20's per tube. so about 27mA per tube in my mark series. Good online sellers will know what range you need... doug's tubes, or tube depot...

scott

sound fading can be a myriad of issues.
If yr lucky one of the regular techs here may have some very pertinent info for your amp.
Personally, I'm wondering about sockets expanding and giving poor contact, and even dry joints..
Sockets are dead easy to clean and re-tension. Takes a little while but not tricky for a careful person.

BTW, I'm also NOT convinced on the blanket statement of use genuine tubes or U may damage yr amp.
While it's true some tubes "could" damage the amp, I think the Boogie's are far more tolerant than I might think..
DB

McBarry said:
BTW, I'm also NOT convinced on the blanket statement of use genuine tubes or U may damage yr amp.
While it's true some tubes "could" damage the amp, I think the Boogie's are far more tolerant than I might think..
DB

+1

if we polled everybody here, I'm sure most of us do not use mesa tubes. Lots of =C= users, JJ, Groove Tubes etc.

scott

Thanks. I'll monitor the situation with all Mesa tubes installed and see if the problem occurs again. It has occurred 3 times now in exactly the same manner (every 12 -> 20 hours use), but all well at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Whoaa...
was in Pro Audio the other day, in the "Mesa" room, saw a Mesa black t-shirt on the wall. XL.

How much do U reckon??

$25?? - prolly a bit cheap
$40?? - now you're takin' the piss..
$62!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, U read that right!!
I can't imagine what warranty is provided??

Back