Valve Art EL84s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21540

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just received a quad of Valve Art EL84s for my Rocket 44 (which is under repair at the moment). Does anyone have any experience or know much about these tubes? I know that they are made in China by the O & J company but that's about all I've found out about them thus far. Thanks in advance!

I have not used the EL-84's. I have used the KT66's and the GZ34. If the quality/construction of the tube is consistent....it's a great tube. They are very clear sounding tubes with good harmonics. Can't find too many of them though. I would hold on to them.

Well I've been trying them out and they sound pretty decent. Certainly as good as the JJs they replaced - they perhaps have a tad less bottom end, but other than that, not a great deal of difference to my ear.

Yeah. The good thing with most Boogies is that there is always plenty of taper left on the bass knob!

My personal choice of EL84 is the slovakian (JJ's). The ones i've used the most are rebranded by groove-tube for matching. I've used some generic chinese, Russian sovteks (good distortion, but flat sounding), EH (ok again), and other mixed and matched, but honestly as much as I dislike JJ's tubes, their EL84's take the cake for musicality, tone, and longevity. I use a soft rated (4 on the fender scale personally, for my Orange). The chinese tubes would be second place for their great brightness and compression clipping.

As a note: my friend just bought a Dr.Z Monza (EL84) and Dr. Z Remedy (6V6)and both came stock with JJ's in the power section. I cannot speak enough praise about their sound. I also convinced him to get a 1x12 Electradyne combo, so he'll be joining out board soon! (as part of this note, yes, he was filling his studio.)

If I ever get tired of my Sylvanias, maybe I should try out some JJ's in my Mark...

Back