6L6: TungSol vs. (SED) Winged C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I need to retube my 2:90 and since my funds are a bit limited I asked my tech if there's an alternative to =C= 6L6s... I really want that particular tube because they're the balls and I'm sure of it, but they've gone up by 10€ per tube and now I'd have to pay a whooping 320€ for an octet.

He recommended TungSol 6L6s, which are no less half the price (!) of =C='s.

I like the "sophistication" and clarity mixed with the banging lows and rounded feel of =C='s and my tech said he put them in his ENGL because of those characteristics. I've heard them in his amps and some amps he retubed so I'm sure that if I get the =C='s they will fit the bill.

Should I wait and get the =C='s or are TungSols gonna cut it? How do they compare?

I use the TungSol 6L6GC-STRs in my 50/50 and they´re some awesome bottles!!
Check this thread:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52216

I've heard good things about the new Tung Sols as well. Make sure you get them from someone knows how to rate the tubes for the idle plate voltage your amp draws. Some vendors don't really know how to do this, or rate tubes at a fixed plate voltage, typically 400.

Check out this resource for good vendors. The second button down on the far left links to vendors: http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/index2.html. Eurotubes is good also.

I've always ordered my SED =C= SV6L6GC's from Doug's Tubes and he has always delivered the correct rated tubes (I check all new tubes for cathode current (bias) myself when I install them). I asked him if he could send me a set close to the Mesa STR-440 "GRN" and he was always within 3-5mA of the "GRN" quad that came with my amp!

Great customer service as well.

He carries the Tung-Sol's too. If the Tung-Sol 6L6GC is anything like the 6550's I'm running now (from Doug's) they will be a very well constructed tube.

dodger916 said:
I've heard good things about the new Tung Sols as well. Make sure you get them from someone knows how to rate the tubes for the idle plate voltage your amp draws. Some vendors don't really know how to do this, or rate tubes at a fixed plate voltage, typically 400.

Check out this resource for good vendors. The second button down on the far left links to vendors: http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/index2.html. Eurotubes is good also.

EUROTUBES only sells JJ's.

Dom

Jackie, if you´re in Europe check out Tube-Town. They got their stuff together when it comes to tubes and are awesome folks to deal with

Triaxstasy said:
Jackie, if you´re in Europe check out Tube-Town. They got their stuff together when it comes to tubes and are awesome folks to deal with
+1, Dirk is really a nice guy to deal with. He always has solutions to your questions and demands.

Thanks for that store but their prices for =C='s are higher by about 10€ than where I wanted to order (HotRox UK). Interestingly enough the Tungs are the same.

I will definitely ring HotRox about the idle plate voltage though I think their tubes are rated fine.
Nice to see that TungSols can hold their own.

I'll see if =C='s go any higher I'll probably say "screw it" and get the Tungs...

Though our drummer (who knows me pretty well) said "Get the =C='s, I know you and you won't rest until you have them." and the guy is pretty right. :lol:
My wallet is gonna keep me waiting for quite a while (driver's ed sure isn't helping my finances) and I want to let my MESA rip! It sounds like a crippled kitty instead of a roaring Leviathan!

I have some SED =C= tubes in my ED and there is a substantial difference over the Mesa STR 440 stock tubes. I can't imagine another tube sounding any clearer or more detailed.

The Tungsol's are probably very good also, but another thing to consider is the tube life. The SED tube is very well made and you can see the difference when comparing them to other tubes. I expect the SED tubes will outlast most other tubes significantly. If that is the case then the extra initial cost is offset by not having to replace them.

J.J said:
The Tungsol's are probably very good also, but another thing to consider is the tube life.

Yeah, good point. Those things are tougher than Chuck Norris. My JVM has =C= EL34s and after 3 years still sounds like new and I don't really spare it if you know what I mean.

So many gearhead friends (hell even my dad xD) told me "Get the SEDs and be happily married" that I'm gonna do just that - rustle up the chips and get the SEDs.

Trade for a 50W amp, and you only need 2.... :D

Truth is I have a pair of stock mesa's AND a pair of =C='s in the same amp. If I want the detail, I switch to the lower wattage setting, and it just runs the Sed's.

I forgot all about the thread and I forgot to say that I bought the =C='s and I'm very happy with them!

Tommy_G said:
Trade for a 50W amp, and you only need 2.... :D

Truth is I have a pair of stock mesa's AND a pair of =C='s in the same amp. If I want the detail, I switch to the lower wattage setting, and it just runs the Sed's.

Thats what I was doing too. I just ordered one pair to start with, in case I didn't like them.

Jackie said:
I forgot all about the thread and I forgot to say that I bought the =C='s and I'm very happy with them!

Good to hear your happy. I've just ordered a spare set of =C= tubes so I should be good for many years....

Tommy_G said:
Wow, I thought this thread was active, and its from Nov....

Right you are Tommy. But since it is resurrected, I will now add something.

All my tubes are in the Mesa Green color rating. I have been using Winged C in my Heartbreaker as well as my Mark III. Due to all the $$$ outlfow of putting Mercury transformers in the HB (or I should say prepaying, thank God, and now waiting for the end product) AND getting my Mark III "touched" by Mike B, I have had to reconsider what to do for the HB when it comes back.

Having said that I have in my possession a set of the Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR for the HB.
[info here http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6l6gc.html ]

Point is I will be able to let you know what I think of these once I can get some "play time" with the HB. I had Winged C power tubes in the HB but the bad rectifier tube (bad bad tube) took three of them our as well as a few resistors. :cry:

Maybe some good can come out of all this when give my results :wink:

Dennis

Back